Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at least for now.

I've been reading and seeing a lot on uTube about the Victory Cross Country, and it looked impressive. I'm always on the look out for the next upgrade, so I went and had a test ride today, expecting great things after all the hype from the Victory Police Bike channel on the Tube.

I always know within the first half mile if I'm going to get on with a bike, and unfortunately this was no exception. Despite the near 5 inches of rear suspension travel the ride was hard and unforgiving, the handling was not as good as the Kawasaki, especially low speed manoeuvring, the riding position was a stretch to the bars even for my orang-utan physique with the only real plus point being more leg room. I was also not too happy about the prospect of going back to a cable clutch, although the pull required was a lot less than the Harley.

There is an alternative handle bar, and back rest available at extra cost, isn't there always? This may make the riding position a little better, but for now I am yet to find a bike of this style that has most stuff down like the Vaq. I got on my bike to leave, did a perfect feet up full lock 3 mph 180 turn and rode off with my wallet intact. Long live Kawasaki. :D

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
at least for now.

I've been reading and seeing a lot on uTube about the Victory Cross Country, and it looked impressive. I'm always on the look out for the next upgrade, so I went and had a test ride today, expecting great things after all the hype from the Victory Police Bike channel on the Tube.

I always know within the first half mile if I'm going to get on with a bike, and unfortunately this was no exception. Despite the near 5 inches of rear suspension travel the ride was hard and unforgiving, the handling was not as good as the Kawasaki, especially low speed manoeuvring, the riding position was a stretch to the bars even for my orang-utan physique with the only real plus point being more leg room. I was also not too happy about the prospect of going back to a cable clutch, although the pull required was a lot less than the Harley.

There is an alternative handle bar, and back rest available at extra cost, isn't there always? This may make the riding position a little better, but for now I am yet to find a bike of this style that has most stuff down like the Vaq. I got on my bike to leave, did a perfect feet up full lock 3 mph 180 turn and rode off with my wallet intact. Long live Kawasaki. :D
Test rides that you ride a good steed to tend to cost less out of pocket. I have talked to some LLEO"s that had worn out Harley's before the cc vic's and they love em. They look good ,ride good , and have more options than the worn out Harlies had but they are not perfect either.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Have only sat on a Cross country, and the seat height is much lower, at least enough to let me easily flatfoot it when in most cases I am tip toeing at least one foot on the Voyager. Have heard great things from those who have rode them. Being air/oil cooled and price are 2 reason I didnt really consider one when I bought the Voyager last year, plus I have great faith in Kawasakis after my time with the 800 Vulcan. No bike is perfect, and I will be checking Victory's out when it is time for another bike.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
k, go demo ride the new injuns. they'r made by same engineers, a huge step up from the vix. riding is knowing. u mite find yor new bike ther. or not? poncho

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
k, go demo ride the new injuns. they'r made by same engineers, a huge step up from the vix. riding is knowing. u mite find yor new bike ther. or not? poncho
Stupidly overpriced. But then, so are Hardleys.

I heard an old biker at a Thunder Thursday weekly bike rally they do here in town (live music, dollar tacos, 2 dollar bottled beer) lament that it used to be Japanese and European bikes were for professionals and weekend bikers while the American bikes were for the hardcore. Now, American bikes are priced for cork sniffers and the hardcore lifestyle bikers can't afford them anymore. :D

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Victory dealer I went to is also an Indian main dealer, it's all Polaris anyhow, they also had some nice one off customs based around Harley engines, if you have $60,000 to spend.

The Indians just don't do it for me.

The build quality of the Victorys isn't up to the Kawasaki standard either as the exhaust studs on the barrels were already going rusty on the Vic test bike, and it was less than 6 months old.

I didn't want to trade the Vaq, I just had an hour to spare so headed to the bike shop I'd only just found out about. In anywise, the Kawasaki looks miles better IMHO.

If only it ran cooler in the summer, and had a better gearbox it would be a keeper for life, like my HarDley ha ha.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Stupidly overpriced. But then, so are Hardleys.

I heard an old biker at a Thunder Thursday weekly bike rally they do here in town (live music, dollar tacos, 2 dollar bottled beer) lament that it used to be Japanese and European bikes were for professionals and weekend bikers while the American bikes were for the hardcore. Now, American bikes are priced for cork sniffers and the hardcore lifestyle bikers can't afford them anymore. :D
HD's have always been high on the front end. What's making it so bad these days is the artificially high resale value on them.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 2005 RK was $15000, one owner FSH, and 3800 miles confirmed by all old roadworthy certificates.

Is that bout right for the US market?

The day I got it, the boss was about to up the price by $1300, but I beat him to it.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
its not just the Ride that Carries you Away

Stupidly overpriced. But then, so are Hardleys.. Now, American bikes are priced for cork sniffers and the hardcore lifestyle bikers can't afford them anymore. :D
true, true, over priced. it's not my day rider as I wouldn't expose it to the ruff n tumble of city chitters. I've got other hardware for day duty. v2k

I was gonna ventualy get an injun wen they was 35k up! As a collector item only. Butt then they came up with this new basic for $19k and I was reddy to pull the trigger. I had been lookin at Vix an that F6b, so coin was on the table. Then they offered a shield n bags n roll bar for a 2k bump.. then they offered a full dresser with fairing, cast wheels n letrix for 2k bump. wtf an already spendin serious coin, why stop at the 5 or 2 yard line?

so this is not the platform for the solo bike kinda guy. even I would not have this as my everyday bike (too much worry). But it is a top shelf ride, handling, power package. If you could live with a stripped sled 19 mite get you Rollin? poncho

ps. I only rode this 4 times in one year and yet somehow managed to accumulate 12k miles.. long legs?

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts