Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, Before I begin, I have done searches, and read tons of info.

My question is: What have you guys used on your 900's that has worked well? Pics of speaker and amp mounting?

I have some loud pipes on my bike (They were on it when I bought it). Anyone else in the same boat? I want a good stereo that I can still hear over the pipes. I could go the bluetooth route also. Has anyone done this?

I have read about sharkaudio, Hog Tunes, etc. Looking for what you all like and don't like, what has worked, and what hasn't.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
On my 800, I use a CycleSounds system, its universal. Speakers mount to the handle bars, nice chrome bullets. Plus side, had completely debaffled stock pipes and did ok to about 70-80 indicated with shield on. Without windshield, maybe 50. Negetives, 1 sppeaker went out just after warranty, replaced both at $160 a set. Then the amp went, think running it 6 weeks on 1 speaker may have damaged the amp. Replaced amp with a amp I got at a local shop, mini amp rated at 500 ml amp. Seems to be better than the 100 amp pc that came with it. Cost $450 I believe 3 years ago.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is what I have. Built it over a period of 6 years. Satellite speakers were first but I wanted a little more base so I built the center box. Each speaker box has it's own amp built into the back. I have a windshield. I use my phone as a GPS/MP3 player with a 64 gig flash drive mounted behind the phone mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,219 Posts

+

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I am with SWVA_08V2k, I also have a small pod with speakers built into my helmet, when I need GPS I just unplug my pod and plug my Iphone into the speakers

Attachments

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I also have the Scala Rider set up in my helmet (the wife's also). that have an audio input jack on them too. The only down side to that is that every time the mic picks up something (VOX) it kills the music out.

The reason I suggested the ear buds is because of the exhaust. I have a pair of the JVC marshmallow eat buds and they do a pretty good job of killing out the outside noise so you don't have to blast your tunes. I tend to use them in my computer when there is a lot of stuff going on at the office or at home and I need to focus on what I am doing.

EDIT: Just wanted to add. I have the mentality of I want to hear my music, I could care less whether (Not "weather" for you folks who pick on peoples grammar) anyone else hears it or not :D.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Hmmm... I have tried this option. However, the earbuds tend to pull out a bit when I put my helmet on.

Has anyone used these:

http://www.torkworld.com/products/helmet-speakers/x2-helmet-speakers/

With one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HJWWW8/sr=8-1/qid=1370447643/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1370447643&seller=&sr=8-1

(Or similar)?
If you go the speaker route, you may have to glue some foam in your helmet to move the speakers closer to your ears. I had to do that with my Scala Riders. They played audio LOUD through aux port but the intercom and any blue tooth devices were a bit quieter. I had a hard time hearing my phone at highway speeds, but not now.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Hmmm... I have tried this option. However, the earbuds tend to pull out a bit when I put my helmet on.

Has anyone used these:

http://www.torkworld.com/products/helmet-speakers/x2-helmet-speakers/

With one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HJWWW8/sr=8-1/qid=1370447643/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1370447643&seller=&sr=8-1

(Or similar)?
Wally world 4 dollar head set and just break them down too speakers, I could not bring my self to pay 50.00 for speakers

Attachments

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
A friend of mine has a set of "sport" earphones that clip over your earlobes. They're very low profile and don't get hung up in his helmet or anything. I'll see if I can find out what kind he has.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
What do you have - about 15 or 20 songs on there?:p

Just teasing. Kinda. LOL!
no it plays those "mini CDs" that never caught on. Another one of technology's fails over time. Just like Betamax, Laserdisk, Zip Disks, and so on lol.

For real, I just did a quick search for Ipod and that was the first one I clicked on.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
no it plays those "mini CDs" that never caught on. Another one of technology's fails over time. Just like Betamax, Laserdisk, Zip Disks, and so on lol.

For real, I just did a quick search for Ipod and that was the first one I clicked on.
Such marvelous technologies! Oh, the Zip Disk . . . my word. I remember thinking, "This is it. This is the greatest invention of all time. I can finally put 100 MB on a single medium-sized cartridge". LMFAO!!

Now I have an iPod Classic with a 160 GB hard drive in my pocket, and a battery that will play music for 30-40 hours. We've come a long way!!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Such marvelous technologies! Oh, the Zip Disk . . . my word. I remember thinking, "This is it. This is the greatest invention of all time. I can finally put 100 MB on a single medium-sized cartridge". LMFAO!!

Now I have an iPod Classic with a 160 GB hard drive in my pocket, and a battery that will play music for 30-40 hours. We've come a long way!!
I remember spending upward to $100 on a 128 mb flash drive. lol I thought I was the cats meow, no more carrying a box of floppy disks around full of CAD homework, no not me. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not to be that "legal" guy, but pay attention to your local laws concerning ear-buds and driving/riding.

In some situations (like on a military installation) ear-buds or anything but a rider/passanger intercom can catch you a fine and or banned from riding on that installation after the 2nd offense. Don't know about the civilian side for sure.

The point I guess is the riders inability to hear road noise. At least that's what's stated. Most LEOs don't look to nail riders, but if they pull you over for something else, they will tag that to the ticket.

I prefer external speaker systems, even if the are a pain.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I've done handlebar speakers, ipod with earbuds, and bluetooth headset in helmet. Here are the pros and cons of each as I see them:

Handlebar speakers (Shark 100w)
Good:
-Constant power supply so battery life is not an issue
-Cheaper in most cases
Bad:
-Unless you pay a LOT for them, you may get some distortion if you want to hear music at highway speeds
-You could get caught listening to your guilty pleasure whether that's Nickelback, Nicki Minaj, or One Direction
-Ugly

Ipod with earbuds
Good:
-Cheap
-Who doesn't already have these laying around?
-Plenty of storage for music, stand up acts, books on tape, whatever
-Most handlebar speaker systems also have an aux input where you can plug in an Ipod
Bad:
-Depending on your helmet, the wires can smash into your ears and cause discomfort
-Hard to get the earbuds seated and keep them from moving
-Hard to control volume and songs if you keep it in your jacket pocket
-Battery life can be an issue if you like to listen to music constantly

Bluetooth headset (Scala Rider Q2 Pro)
Good:
-Versatility
-Can be moved from helmet to helmet if you change or or update
-Can be paired to phone, GPS, or another bluetooth unit, and some have aux inputs for Ipods
Bad:
-Expensive
-Hard to use without a helmet
-Battery life can be an issue if you like to listen to music constantly
-Some speakers have a tinny sound

I got the Scala Rider Q2 Pro last year. I've never used a Sena unit but have heard great things about them. What I like about the bluetooth setup is that I can be listening to the FM radio or music from my phone and if someone calls, the music is interrupted until the call is over then turns back on automatically. A lot of how well these work depend on your helmet. If no padding at your ears, the speakers are farther away making them harder to hear. If you have some padding, it pushes them closer and makes the speakers seem louder. With a fairing and full face helmet (EXO-1000) I can listen to music or take phone calls at 70-75mph. I don't get many calls when I'm riding but when I do it's nice to have that feature.

All of those Goods and Bads above are strictly my opinion. I've also rented a bike with speakers in the fairing. That was nice but I was at the mercy of local radio stations so I was just cruising around enjoying the scenery and ended up riding through a big rally in downton Prescott, AZ. It took a minute to realize that all the funny looks I was getting were because Katy Perry was blasting out of the speakers. D'oh!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Another +1 for helmet headsets if that's an option for you. I've ridden bikes with 4-speaker systems, handlebar mounted get-ups, you name it. I had the shark speakers on my handlebars but a speaker blew and they just weren't worth replacing- I chucked 'em. Still have the amp though. But at a certain speed nothing sounds 'good', beyond wind NOISE itself the wind distorts sound anyway. The helmet headset sounds just as good and is an inexpensive alternative. You also gain the ability to bluetooth it to a smartphone for GPS, etc. I love being able to listen to Pandora on my iPhone (or my music collection), while having my GPS run in the background in an unfamiliar area to give me prompts about where I need to turn, etc. Granted; that can be done with most speaker systems as well; but it works fine in my helmet setup.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
I use ear buds connected to my gs3 for now. i am contemplating purchasing the SENA bluetooth, but the buds help drain out wind noise as well. without them, i imagine that i would hear a lot of noise from the wind as well. that being said i still will end up purchasing, as it takes forever to get squared away for my ride to work in the am, in part because i have to fiddle with those darn earbuds. being able to answer calls would be an added plus.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts