Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Here are my results of my Voyager flush. Not sure why the initial drain was such a dark green unless it is discolored by all the particles.

this is first flush with plain water

this is what the 2nd and 3rd flush looked like. 2nd was with vinegar, 3rd was with distilled water

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yea, what bothered me the most was how dark it was when I first emptied the radiator, leaving it sit in the jug to see if it is just particles that will settle after a time.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I flushed mine yesterday and was lucky, I only needed one flush. I have 40,000 on my 09 and the initial drain was bright green with no particles. Used distilled water once and then filled with engine ice. I'm hoping it will cool the bike some.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thinking about flushing my '12 and going Engine Ice. Has anyone noticed cooler running with Engine Ice? The OP states the coolant capacity is about 2.5 qts...Is this correct?

Craig

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Thinking about flushing my '12 and going Engine Ice. Has anyone noticed cooler running with Engine Ice? The OP states the coolant capacity is about 2.5 qts...Is this correct?

Craig
It will still get hot in heavy traffic but cool down a lot quicker when you start moving

2.5 qts is what the manual calls for and is dead on the money. If it will not hold that much you have an air pocket that needs to be massaged out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It will still get hot in heavy traffic but cool down a lot quicker when you start moving

2.5 qts is what the manual calls for and is dead on the money. If it will not hold that much you have an air pocket that needs to be massaged out.
Thanks Tinker, I made 3 qts total and used about 2.8 qts including filling the overflow container.

Craig

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well, having had the 2012 Voyager for two and a half years, drivable for two years and three months, and 55K miles on it, I finally got around to flushing the radiator and changing the fluid. I followed Tinkers instructions mostly.

After draining the radiator the first time and straining it, I have a lot of small black stuff, assume it paint chips? I flushed it with 100% vinegar twice and the second time it was essentially clear so I flushed it three times with DI water each time it was as clean as the last time with vinegar. I flushed a bunch of black gunk from the overflow bottle. I drained the engine again and put in 3oz of the Water Wetter and new radiator fluid. Did an oil change and buttoned it all back up!

Boy, taking that tank off and on so many time was sure a pain! Test ride tomorrow. Forecast is for 93 degrees! Good test of new stuff!

JB

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
The 1st year 09 seems to have been the worst for cooling system coating breakdown/failure. This has not been a catastrophic problem as in engine failure, only a maintenance/extra work problem. It is good to know that the later models of the 1700 do not have the same symptoms.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Been riding it in 90+ degree weather for the 30 miles of my afternoon commute for three days now. The flushing and new fluids don't seem to have made a difference when I'm sitting in rush hour traffic for the 5-6 miles it takes to get mostly out of traffic. The fan is working fine. However, once I get to the point where it's rolling fairly well at 45+ mph, the temp gauge is indicating between just below the 4th mark from the left and just above the same mark. By the time I get home, after a 6 miles stretch averaging 20-45mph, a 6 miles stretch at 60mph, a 1 mile section at 30mph, another 10 miles section at 60mph, another 1 miles section at 30mph and final section of 6 miles at 60mph, the temp gauge is hovering just above the 4th mark. This is a bit less than one full mark less than it was on my trip to south Florida and back (800 miles in 29 hours). It's not much but I'll take it!!! Two more months of hot Florida summer and the temps will start dropping with all good luck!

JB

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks for the extensive write up and photos. Probably need to do this on my 2010 Nomad that I bought used two months ago with about 17,3xx miles on it and currently has about 19,5xx miles. I may just do this in another 1,500 miles or so that way I can do the oil change at the same time. On curiosity, what coolant do you recommend using?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I used regular Prestone green and some Water Wetter.
Thanks for the clarification TS. Have another question/issue I've noticed with my 2010 1700 Nomad recently that I'm hoping you (or one of the other Vulcanites in the forum) might be able to shed some light on.

Recently, I noticed that if I take a long ride (2+ hours) and with the weather warming up - we are now around 80 degrees or so daytime, after a couple of hours of riding, I can smell antifreeze, and when I pull over and park, I have a small puddle of antifreeze forming below my overflow tank. Last weekend, it almost ran the overflow tank empty and caused a temp light to come on. Took the overflow tank off, cleaned it, reattached the little hose back with the factory clamp and topped off with O'Reilly Conventional Green antifreeze (50/50 pre-mixed). Today, another 2 hour trip later, I have a puddle under the overflow tank again. What would cause this? The tank doesn't seem to be cracked.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Thanks for the clarification TS. Have another question/issue I've noticed with my 2010 1700 Nomad recently that I'm hoping you (or one of the other Vulcanites in the forum) might be able to shed some light on.

Recently, I noticed that if I take a long ride (2+ hours) and with the weather warming up - we are now around 80 degrees or so daytime, after a couple of hours of riding, I can smell antifreeze, and when I pull over and park, I have a small puddle of antifreeze forming below my overflow tank. Last weekend, it almost ran the overflow tank empty and caused a temp light to come on. Took the overflow tank off, cleaned it, reattached the little hose back with the factory clamp and topped off with O'Reilly Conventional Green antifreeze (50/50 pre-mixed). Today, another 2 hour trip later, I have a puddle under the overflow tank again. What would cause this? The tank doesn't seem to be cracked.
If you are smelling antifreeze while riding you either have a leak or are running just under hot enough to set off the idiot light temp sensor. I have a Nomad and it is hard to judge how hot it is running without a gauge.

Does the cooling fan come on every time you slow down or as soon as you stop at a stop sign or light? Edit: every time after the bike is at operating temp?

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you are smelling antifreeze while riding you either have a leak or are running just under hot enough to set off the idiot light temp sensor. I have a Nomad and it is hard to judge how hot it is running without a gauge.

Does the cooling fan come on every time you slow down or as soon as you stop at a stop sign or light? Edit: every time after the bike is at operating temp?
I'll send you a PM on the question. Didn't mean to hijack the thread :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks Tinker for the great instructions. I did the flush today, only had to flush twice as was not too bad on my 2012 Voyager with 13,300 miles. Filled with Engine Ice and hope to be good for a few years. Changed spark plugs and put chrome polish on heads as long as it was apart too. Nice feeling to have this done.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts