Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I flushed mine in early spring of this year. I think I had about 5k on it.

After flushing it my overflow tank stayed clear of sediment for a while. The presence of sediment now (less than I had before the first flush) does indicate that more of this (paint?) has come loose.

Judging by the picture of your 8th flush I would be willing to bet that even after circulating at temp you still have some gunk too. And will likely have more as time passes.

I'll keep my eye on operating temps; but will probably wait till next spring for my next flush. Depending on how much comes out with the initial drain; I may circulate the vinegar flush.

Scott

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yes Scott it seems the more miles the more loose coating(what ever it is)On the 5th flush of my Nomad there were only a very few small flakes and I was satisfied. With the Voyager I am going to put a few thousand miles on it and flush it again late next spring.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Some clarifications

TS - Did you have to remove the tank between each flush cycle?
I was kind of busy when I answered you yesterday so I reviewed this thread this morning and found a few clarifications that might help others in the next few weeks getting prepared for the upcoming riding season.

The tank does have to be removed and replaced each time for access to the filler cap and to run the bike to allow the cooling system to circulate. It does not have to be bolted down or the vent hose reattached, the fuel pump plug and fuel line do have to be done each time. Leave about a gallon of gas in the tank for running the bike between flushes.

If using a jack(I would hate to do this without one) be sure to stabilize it and the bike before running it. Also position the bike so the exhaust can be directed out an open door. I put a fan in front of the bike to make sure as little stayed in the building as possible.

In post#3 pic 3 You can see that this is the best access you will ever have to the oil filter with the cross pipe and rectifiers out of the way so this would be a good time to change oil as well.

If you decide to unplug the rectifiers and not take the cross pipe completely out of the way the moisture seals in the plugs tend to come loose and get distorted after a few times take care not to pinch them.

Do not leave them unplugged and run the bike. Damage to the electrical system could or probably will happen. I made the mistake of starting the Nomad once without plugging the rectifiers back up and every red light on the instrument panel lit up, I only let it run for a split second before shutting it off and luckily caused no damage.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Great write up. This is a job that has been in the back of my mind (and to-do list) for a while. Reading over this makes it look much easier than anticipated. Slow going but easy.

Has anybody given thought to creating a PDF of this thread, using the original hi rez images. Much easier to have paper on hand when needed, instead of a laptop.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ok well yesterday I got down and dirty and changed the coolant thanks to Tinkers write up. My 2011 Voyager has only 7K miles on it. Not many flakes came out but I did see enough to be glad that I changed it. I flushed it twice with vinegar and once with distilled water then I added the mix that Tinker suggested.

It was hot and humid today in Northern Jersey. Temps in the 90's. I can't say I see a difference in engine temperature. My gauge stayed pegged at the tick after half even on the highway. Do I consider this normal?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yes that seems to be normal on the 1700's. The only time I would worry about temp is if it doesn't drop after the fan kicks on just past the 5 th mark.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I finally sat down and made an illustrated PDF of the procedure. Its too big to post, 4MB.

So perhaps I can give it to the Mods and they can post it.

If you need it now don't bother to PM... email me for faster reply. Use my yahoo! email address...

It is [email protected]"blahblahblah".com

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I dug this old post up for a reference today and thought it would be useful to some new Vulcan riders that have never seen it

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I believe the 7500 mile service is a good time. Gives the paint flakes in the cooling system time to break loose so they come out easier, but I had 19,000 the 1st year I had mine. Then change anti-freeze every 2 years there after.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
It may have as much to do with time as it does with mileage.

Even if it's a 2012 that sits in a climate controlled garage year round and is only brought out twice a year to ride in a parade all the fluids in it are 3 years old and need to be changed.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
It may have as much to do with time as it does with mileage.

Even if it's a 2012 that sits in a climate controlled garage year round and is only brought out twice a year to ride in a parade all the fluids in it are 3 years old and need to be changed.
I agree on the time, all fluids at 2 years, except the oil which should be at the very minimum once a year, that is if you dont get enough mileage 1st.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I believe the 7500 mile service is a good time. Gives the paint flakes in the cooling system time to break loose so they come out easier, but I had 19,000 the 1st year I had mine. Then change anti-freeze every 2 years there after.
Rick, great point about letting the flakes have time to loosen. This job along with brake and clutch fluid are on my radar, possibly mid/late season. Cheers.

·
Registered
101 Posts
just finished the coolant change...quite straight forward really. Not being able to run the engine with the cap off was a bugger, but I manipulated as much air from the lines as I could, and hoping the over flow bottle will remove the remaining air.

I didn't bother with any special ice coolant as I've got the engine running cooler through proper fuelling.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ok, so I'm pretty sure I looked everywhere and could not find an overflow bottle while flushing my system? Still need to check it again tomorrow so can someone tell me where it is. I thought I follow all the cooling lines and didn't see it anywhere? Also, no black flakes what so ever on my flush, it's a 2010 with 7 or 8k miles on it.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Ok, so I'm pretty sure I looked everywhere and could not find an overflow bottle while flushing my system? Still need to check it again tomorrow so can someone tell me where it is. I thought I follow all the cooling lines and didn't see it anywhere? Also, no black flakes what so ever on my flush, it's a 2010 with 7 or 8k miles on it.
The reservoir tank is behind the left side cover. The one with the key hole for the seat release.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Looks Like I have a new project, all though my Vaquero is 4 yrs old, and only 4900 miles. I just got it last week.. So.. I see a next weekend project! Thanks for bringing this back up

21 - 40 of 67 Posts