Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I had the bike on a jack for the usual service and with the front wheel off the ground, I gave the steering the test (as per the tech manual) to see if it was moving freely left and right.
It does move all the way either direction but I noticed as soon as I move the handlebar either way I feel like a "notch" first then it moves freely all the way.

Is this normal?

Thanks

G.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
I would say no. Definitely look into it further. Probably something very simple, but may not be that obvious.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
All I can really say is that I DON'T feel that, and it very well could be a worn steering head bearing or one that needs regreased. The service manual outlines the process. You may consider re-packing the bearings with grease after cleaning them out, and inspecting for damage, corrosion, etc. and replacing parts as needed.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Hi all,

I had the bike on a jack for the usual service and with the front wheel off the ground, I gave the steering the test (as per the tech manual) to see if it was moving freely left and right.
It does move all the way either direction but I noticed as soon as I move the handlebar either way I feel like a "notch" first then it moves freely all the way.

Is this normal?

Thanks

G.
This sounds very familiar. Do you remember this thread?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This sounds very familiar. Do you remember this thread?
Yes HRH_Z, these will be definitely related. I just wanted to check.
The bike has 54,000kms i thought a bit early to develop that sort of problem...

I am making a tool to be able to get the steering stem nuts off and torque them to specs easily then I'll have a look down there.

in the manual it looks like you need a lot of specialized tools to get the bearings and races out...:confused:

Thanks all for good advices as usual.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All I can really say is that I DON'T feel that, and it very well could be a worn steering head bearing or one that needs regreased. The service manual outlines the process. You may consider re-packing the bearings with grease after cleaning them out, and inspecting for damage, corrosion, etc. and replacing parts as needed.
Thanks
I will have a look but the lower bearing requires removing all bits hanging at the front end including fork :eek:

Would you tackle the job of replacing bearings/races yourself?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you feel a notch and then it continues it's time to service the bearing's races.
I think you're very right, I would believe the result of having the steering 99% of the time seating straight with a lot of weight pushing on the same spot...

Not sure if I will fix this one myself...

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Get yourself a service manual. Cheapest way is to get a used paper copy, on eBay or elsewhere (keep in mind that service manuals on CD found on eBay are pirated copies that some guy scanned in, which could be missing pages, the wrong manual altogether, etc. The only legitimate digital copy is a download from Kawasaki's website and it's fairly expensive.)

Thumb through it and look at the procedure for servicing the bearings. If it looks like something you could do, do it. If it looks too tricky, take it somewhere. That's generally what I do. Research the repair first. Some seem daunting but are quick and easy. Instead of leaving my bike at the dealer for 3 days and paying them $100 an hour; I can get it done in my garage in 20 minutes! Obviously, some jobs are a bit more complicated.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've replaced the bearing races on a few bikes now. Sure disassembly can be a bit time consuming, but its no really hard.

I've never used any specialized tools, just a long punch or flat bladed screwdriver plus a hammer to get the old ones out. Be very careful not to gouge the inner walls of the steering head.

To install the new races, I use a block of wood, the old races (if the races need to sit below flush with the head), and a rubber mallet.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've replaced the bearing races on a few bikes now. Sure disassembly can be a bit time consuming, but its no really hard.

I've never used any specialized tools, just a long punch or flat bladed screwdriver plus a hammer to get the old ones out. Be very careful not to gouge the inner walls of the steering head.

To install the new races, I use a block of wood, the old races (if the races need to sit below flush with the head), and a rubber mallet.
Thanks Ndr, it is reassuring to know that it can be done without any specialized tools.
Thanks for the tips.

I am a bit more worried getting off the lower bearing off the stem, I have seen a youtube video where they cut the bearing with strong cutters...
If you remember of anymore tricks please let me know, I will order the required parts and give it a go (I have done my stator so this should be ok :cool:)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thanks Ndr, it is reassuring to know that it can be done without any specialized tools.
Thanks for the tips.

I am a bit more worried getting off the lower bearing off the stem, I have seen a youtube video where they cut the bearing with strong cutters...
If you remember of anymore tricks please let me know, I will order the required parts and give it a go (I have done my stator so this should be ok :cool:)
This video shows a fairly easy way to do it.
https://youtu.be/xDZOPKWFdkg?t=1m49s

I've also removed the lower stem bearing with a pneumatic hammer before...
Like this video shows:
https://youtu.be/lyMXnj943vs

1 - 12 of 12 Posts