Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm wondering if anyone has changed out their stock brake lines with steel ones, and if so, does it really make a difference? On some bikes it's a big change, on others, it's not noticeable. I want to upgrade my brakes little by little, and this seems like a good way to start (or a good way to waste $130!.)
If anyone has any experience on the Vulcan S, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I replaced mine with some Spiegler lines colored in green to match the paint, or at least be a close shade of green. I did that and EBC HH pads st the same time though so I can't really tell us how big of a difference just the lines would make. I can say that between the 2 upgrades it's a world of difference compared to the stock brake system.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
The older the rubber brake lines, the more likely you are to notice a difference. With age and use, they lose their stiffness and expand more so the pressure is less on the caliper pistons. If the lines are not that old, say on a fairly new bike, you probably won't notice much difference.

·
Registered
22 Posts
if your bike is 5 years or older then you would possibly notice a difference due to the rubber pipes loosing their strength, the volume of fluid in the system is also slightly less with braided hoses. personally i wont be changing mine as yet, the brakes are more than adequate in feel and power.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Do a search in this forum. There was a big write up about a disaster install from a particular brand that was advertised as a direct fit that wasn't.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm. Good information. It seems like they may make a difference, but not a huge one. I'm trying to improve the brakes, obviously. They're pretty good, but I'd love them to be better. Florida drivers are pretty scary

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
Hmm. Good information. It seems like they may make a difference, but not a huge one. I'm trying to improve the brakes, obviously. They're pretty good, but I'd love them to be better. Florida drivers are pretty scary
They can make a huge difference if the rubber lines are old and soft, but even new rubber lines will make a huge difference in that case. The main advantage of steel lines is that they don't have to be replaced as often, if ever.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
So true. A McLaren almost hit me yesterday in Miami. I veered to the right in traffic. Nice car, idiot driver. If attempted murder doesn't happen to me at least 3-4 times a day when I ride.....it was a good day!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I changed front stock brake line to spiegler steel braided line and did not notice a difference in braking, I switched front brake pads from kevlar material to oem sintered steel which did help a bit

1 - 12 of 12 Posts