Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife got me the Stebel Nautilis horn for my bike and I am going to install it right after Christmas. She was supposed to order the direct hook up harness and all. I'm going to post pics during the install, but for now do you have guys have any pics or advice about the install? The stock harness looks pretty tight and I imagine I just leave it in place versus trying to remove it. Guess the only other thing is the heck do I do with the leads for the old horn? Tape'm off?

·
Registered
657 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What kind of hardware did you use to mount yours? How much of a pain was it to route the harness? Thanks

·
Registered
657 Posts
I used the flat piece of metal used with the stock horn. I mounted the relay switch where the original horn was. I had ran a direct line to the battery on a 20 amp fuse and of course the stock horn wires to the relay switch. Running the wires was fairly easy. I'm considering moving the horn to behind the side panel, but not quite there yet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I originally mounted mine on one of the highway bar bolts in the center under the steering stem. That worked until I hit the first speed bump and the horn hit my fender.:mad: I then bought a chrome foot peg bracket for the highway bar and cut down the tab a little bit and used that to mount the horn high on the bar right next to the ignition. Definitely use the relay or you will burn up the horn circuit. Use the existing horn wires to go to the relay and new wires that you make up from the relay to the horn and direct to the battery. Even with all of the wiring, it only took me about 1/2 an hour to install the thing, an hour if you include modifying the mounting bracket for the horn.

Tim

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good to me. I can't wait cause getting cut off by cars is no fun especially if you can't shake'm up a little. Threedchief, do you have any pics. Just trying to get all the ideas I can to get this done.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Sounds good to me. I can't wait cause getting cut off by cars is no fun especially if you can't shake'm up a little.
After I installed mine, it decreased the "cut-offs", but it still happens, especially with large SUV's and full size pickups. Frustrating as hell!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Does anyone know what the stock horn circuit will take in terms of load. Looking at putting a louder dual tone electric on mine that I measured with meter to pull about 6.5 amps. I've seen posts that say less than about 8-10 amps should be OK. Seems this load should not burn out anything.

·
Registered
657 Posts
It's rated at 10 Amps max... I had a dual setup before that used 12 Amps and it would blow fuses. I went with a relay switch after that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Did the install on the horn. It took a little while to figure out where to mount it but I put it right where the stock one goes. I bent the bracket a little to get the 15 degree variance from vertical that is allowed. The only other thing is that the intake tube is not pointing backwards so I am going to have to install some form of tubing. Best mounting I could come up with. Still have to subdue the wires to the horn to so they don't stand out so much. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just make sure your front fender does not hit it over big bumps. I had some
driving lights that I had installed similar to what you did. I got a nice new paint job on my front fender and a lesson on where to mount accessories. Hope this works out well for you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just make sure your front fender does not hit it over big bumps. I had some
driving lights that I had installed similar to what you did. I got a nice new paint job on my front fender and a lesson on where to mount accessories. Hope this works out well for you.
I'm gonna test it the next time I'm out on a speed bump or something. I really hope it doesn't hit but that's really the only way to tell. Thanks for the tip. I'm curous about how much travel the front forks have. I do know that one if the sweeper seal marks looks to be high enough but I think that is from the last time I sinched it to tow. The other seal marks look to be okay. Cross my fingers.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
After reading a user warning about mounting my Wolo Bad Boy compact air horn (same as Stebel) where the OEM horn was, I mounted mine on the upper right crash bar, using a chrome Kuryakyn P-clamp. I mounted the horn relay and a relay for my electric oil pressure gauge and my voltmeter lighting where the OEM horn was. As some users have reported, mounting the air horn using the OEM bracket has resulted in front fender damage - when I checked it out on my VN900 it looked very risky. Placing the air horn on the crash bar also makes certain that the effect of its blast is unrestricted.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'm gonna test it the next time I'm out on a speed bump or something. I really hope it doesn't hit but that's really the only way to tell. Thanks for the tip. I'm curous about how much travel the front forks have. I do know that one if the sweeper seal marks looks to be high enough but I think that is from the last time I sinched it to tow. The other seal marks look to be okay. Cross my fingers.

I can tell you that I'm 99% sure you'll damage the fender if you hit a big enough bump. The fork travel is 41mm (5.9 inches) for both the custom as well as the classic. You can try measuring straight up with the fork travel from the fender and see if it works as opposed to finding a speed bump and testing it out using the redneck method.. if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
After reading a user warning about mounting my Wolo Bad Boy compact air horn (same as Stebel) where the OEM horn was, I mounted mine on the upper right crash bar, using a chrome Kuryakyn P-clamp. I mounted the horn relay and a relay for my electric oil pressure gauge and my voltmeter lighting where the OEM horn was. As some users have reported, mounting the air horn using the OEM bracket has resulted in front fender damage - when I checked it out on my VN900 it looked very risky. Placing the air horn on the crash bar also makes certain that the effect of its blast is unrestricted.
Do you have some pics you can share? I don't want to ruin my fender but really don't see another place to mount it right now. Did your OEM harness for the original horn reach to where you needed it? What part number clamp did you install? Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can tell you that I'm 99% sure you'll damage the fender if you hit a big enough bump. The fork travel is 41mm (5.9 inches) for both the custom as well as the classic. You can try measuring straight up with the fork travel from the fender and see if it works as opposed to finding a speed bump and testing it out using the redneck method.. if you know what I mean.
Gotcha, I'm getting a little pyranoid now about the mounting. If I can find another way of mounting I will shortly do it. Luckily I haven't done anything that is permanent or I can't order parts for.

·
Registered
84 Posts
here's what i did:
run the factory wires from the horn to the new relay, mount relay under front of fuel tank in the tunnel. run new wires from battery to other side of relay, new wires from relay to new horn....quite simple if you know how relays work.

I took that bar that the factory horn was mounted to, drilled out the big hole bigger so that it would fit on the motor mount bolt on the left side of the bike, see pics:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice mount. I think I'm going to have to figure something out if my test doesn't work out. Roll the dice I suppose casue I really like where its at now just the fender worries me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
After reading quite a few posts and a visit to the hardware store I figured out where I wanted to mount it and how to do it. I had a 3" U Pipe Bolt laying around the garage. A quick trip to work to use a vice, a couple bends a 1/4 hole drilled for the bolt and trim off the excess of the bracket to make it look good. I temporarily assembled it until I can paint the brackt black and secure all the wires. It's cold as all get out here so the paint won't set well. Feedback?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts