Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bough this horn from Biker Highway with the plug-n-play wiring kit. This horn is LOUD. My 14 yo son says it doesn't sound very manly (I told him it sounds Eurpean), but when you live in God's waiting room (South Florida) you want to be heard even by the hard of hearing. This is truely the loudest motorcycly horn I've ever heard. The plug & play wiring kit is a must. It turned the installation from a weekend of aggrivating trips to the auto parts store into a 1/2 hr install after work. I mounted the horn to the bracket on my freeway bars where they bracket the forks. I drilled one of the holes in my existing horn bracket a little larger, bolted the horn bracket to the freeway bar bracket, tie strapped the wires to the existing harness that goes back to the battery, connected the plug & play harness per the directions and HONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Speaking of Horns........
In the recent J&P catalog, on the back cover there is a horn I am going to buy called the Bad Boy Air Horn, all chrome, no kit to buy, ready to bolt on and plug and play for $65. Check it out !!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I installed one the weekend before last. Have used it a couple of times, and it does do the trick as an attention getter. The harness does make the install pretty easy, most of my time was spent in making the bracket. Once that was done, the install went pretty quickly.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Speaking of Horns........
In the recent J&P catalog, on the back cover there is a horn I am going to buy called the Bad Boy Air Horn, all chrome, no kit to buy, ready to bolt on and plug and play for $65. Check it out !!!
I bought mine from amazon.com, $44.99 and free shipping.....you will have to get some wire to run the included relay directly to the battery, if you don't use the relay you will melt your horn button. Included instructions work well if you follow them

http://www.amazon.com/WOLO-519-Chrome-Dual-Tone/dp/B000PWZR4C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1254332536&sr=8-1

·
Registered
84 Posts
mine isn't a stebel but they can both be mounted the same. I used the bracket from the factory horn and ran my own wiring to it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Same idea. I took the bracket off the horn, drilled out one of the holes a little larger to fit on the bracket that attahces my freeway bars to the frame.... BUY THE PLUG and PLAY HARNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It will be a 1/2 hr job with it. You will need to follow the directions on the back for "it will now sound plugged into one wire and will always sound plugged into the other". There is a jumper wire that has to be connected, but the instructions with the harness are clear.

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
Pictures pleeeease!!! Some of us want to see how you folks mounted these horns to wake the dead.
I mounted mine on the right side. Just below the front of the tank using pics I found on this site. On the frame there is existing bolt where you can attach a home brew bracket..

·
Registered
72 Posts
The Stabbel Nautilus Compact and the Wolo Bad Boy are identical as far as I know. I'm not sure why they are marketed under two different names. If the Nautilus does not have a deep enough tone to suit you, try teaming a Fiamm Highway Blaster Low Tone with it. That sound and volume comes as close to a pair of air trumpets as you are going to fit on your bike.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Yesterday morning coming into work some brain-damaged redneck in a pickup literally ran me out of my lane ignoring my horn. Right after I got to work, I ordered the Stebel on eBay and it should be here by tomorrow or Friday at the latest. I think I've had enough as this is the 4th time this has happened over the past two months.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Going about 35 on a side street, the car next to me started to drift into my lane. I looked over and could see the lady texting. I laid on the horn, saw her drop the phone and I poured on the throttle to get away. Judging by the way she startled, she must have thought she was about to get harpooned by a yacht.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Mounted and hooked up the horn a couple of days ago. It's loud, it's kewl and it even looks good with the other chrome goodies. I ran a direct fused (20 amp) line to the relay swith which is triggered by the horn button. I mounted the relay where the old horn was originally, but am working on a cover to keep it out of the elements.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought the same horn after reading this thread. It arrived yesterday. I have a question maybe someone can help me with. The instruction say " you must snap the hose connector to horn and attach tubing to run to a protective place". Looking at the pics I didn't see any hosing. Did anyone use the tubing and exactly what is the purpose?

·
Registered
657 Posts
I didn't receive any tubing either, but then I didn't need it. At the bottom of the horn on the right, you can see the opening to the housing is facing to the rear of the bike, which is what they want. The tubing would be for that purpose if it didn't and you needed to add it so it would. I guess they expect you to find your own tubing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thank you much Rollingbones. I have a 2008 900 LT w/cobra highway bars and I plan on mounting my horn the same way you did. Did you try your horn both with and with out the hose connector. I also wondered if the size reduction the horn adaptor made had any impact on the horns performance.

·
Registered
657 Posts
No I didn't, but that's a thought. I have to wait until 05:00 on Sunday morning and test the theory out with my neighbors (then they'll under stand that my pipes really aren't that loud...:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts