Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently, my stebel horn is only sounding one of the two notes. Never had a problem in 6 years with the one on my last bike. Any idea how to fix it?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Just recently, my stebel horn is only sounding one of the two notes. Never had a problem in 6 years with the one on my last bike. Any idea how to fix it?
Had the same problem at begining of season when a very wise man from a forum told me to spray wd40 in the horn part. Worked perfectly for last few months.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Did you use the relay and use a direct wire from the battery?
Just a thought.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, got it working. Might have gone overboard on the oil as it sounds alittle different. Hopefully, once the oil is blown out of it it will be back to normal.

And yes, I did the relay

·
Registered
127 Posts
A friend of mine put one of these horns on, had one heck of a time getting it to work, looked on-line, he used a relay, got it to finally work but stopped after a month...Hooked up the old stock horn, never took it off, haven't been to his home to look at it yet but I hear the VV has a backwards system, different than other bikes....My wife wants it working, I'm afraid to let the dealership do it, they may screw a wire up, don't know and I have no idea how to read these instructions...If some one knows an easy way to explain how to wire it up, I'll print anyones instructions and give it to my friend, he does a lot of MC work buit even he was having trouble with the installation.....

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
A friend of mine put one of these horns on, had one heck of a time getting it to work, looked on-line, he used a relay, got it to finally work but stopped after a month...Hooked up the old stock horn, never took it off, haven't been to his home to look at it yet but I hear the VV has a backwards system, different than other bikes....My wife wants it working, I'm afraid to let the dealership do it, they may screw a wire up, don't know and I have no idea how to read these instructions...If some one knows an easy way to explain how to wire it up, I'll print anyones instructions and give it to my friend, he does a lot of MC work buit even he was having trouble with the installation.....
Yes go to this link and look at post #25. Well post #88 is better.
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22491&highlight=Stebel+horn&page=3

There's are other threads on the wiring but this was the first one I found.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Using a relay, it makes no difference. The relay powers the horn, and the horn button causes the coil to close the relay contacts. Usually on motorcycles especially older Hondas, the horn wire is hot all the time through the horn, and the horn button is the ground point. Thats why you do not want to power motor driven horns with the horn button/horn wire. I have seen lots of melted horn buttons.

As far as the original question goes. Yes WD40 in the air intake every now and then. Never had to do that in zero humidity and rain Nevada, but have had to already since March here in 500 percent humidity and monsoon rain central Texas.....

·
Registered
225 Posts
Using a relay, it makes no difference. The relay powers the horn, and the horn button causes the coil to close the relay contacts. Usually on motorcycles especially older Hondas, the horn wire is hot all the time through the horn, and the horn button is the ground point. Thats why you do not want to power motor driven horns with the horn button/horn wire. I have seen lots of melted horn buttons.

As far as the original question goes. Yes WD40 in the air intake every now and then. Never had to do that in zero humidity and rain Nevada, but have had to already since March here in 500 percent humidity and

Bubba is the one who told me about the wd40. Thanks again. I rode in lots of rain last month and now mine is acting up again time for a refresher spray.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I also just got a can of WD40 silicon spray. I have always bought the NAPA brand. Think I will try that next time just to see what happens....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts