Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last night I took my 2012 Classic LT for a little twilight ride, and ended up at a school parking lot to do some slow speed and U-turn practice. While practicing extremely slow riding (riding as slow as someone walking), I started to hear a sound like a circular saw being used (high pitched, whirring).

It went away once I stopped and was just idling. It also went away at higher speeds. But whenever I would do the slow ride/slow turn work, I would hear the jet engine/circular saw sound.

I am hoping (praying) it is just the fan or maybe a belt. I only have around 3500 miles on the bike, so I can't fathom the stator would be going out already (plus I thought I read somewhere that Kawasaki improved the stator issue for 900's after 2010 or 2011...or was that just my imagination?)

Thoughts from the experts here?

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Maybe your bike is just amping up (chomping at the bit) to get out on the road and chew up some asphalt.....
Sorry man I have no clue, just trying to cheer you up a bit.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL...we did that first last night (and all last weekend). I hadn't done any slow speed practicing since last July, so I thought it would be good to refresh the skills a bit at the end of the ride.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Tramp it sounds like the same thing that happened to me when I had my 900, it sounded like a bearing was grinding at low speeds. Check your marks on the adjusters and make sure they're both the same, the belt may need to be realigned or there may be to much tension on the belt. With the bike off roll it and if you hear a ticking coming from the belt side than I'm almost positive that's what it is. Good luck!

·
Banned
179 Posts
Sounds like it is getting a little hot from going slow for a long time and the fan is kicking on. It makes more noise when the engine is idling at slow rpm and you hear it louder then on a normal ride. Most don't even turn on when the air is flowing good through the rad while riding.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like it is getting a little hot from going slow for a long time and the fan is kicking on. It makes more noise when the engine is idling at slow rpm and you hear it louder then on a normal ride. Most don't even turn on when the air is flowing good through the rad while riding.
That's my hope. It was just pretty high pitched and that is what gave me pause.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tramp it sounds like the same thing that happened to me when I had my 900, it sounded like a bearing was grinding at low speeds. Check your marks on the adjusters and make sure they're both the same, the belt may need to be realigned or there may be to much tension on the belt. With the bike off roll it and if you hear a ticking coming from the belt side than I'm almost positive that's what it is. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. I will do that!

·
Registered
529 Posts
So many odd little noises and ticks come from this bike. I am starting to think when you don't hear anything concerning is when you should actually start becoming concerned.

·
Registered
353 Posts
@darkarcher :)))

@Tramp96: the stator has nothing to do w/ the transmission ... so the fact that the sound/noise went away with the bike stationary makes no sense regarding a stator failure.

go slow till you hear that sound and turn off the engine. see if it's still there.

the fan has 2 or 3 speed settings. it can get loud. if it catches something in the radiator's fins it can sing all sorts of tunes. but the thing is it doesn't automatically stop once you come to a stop. and you can also feel it moving air around your legs, so I don't know... I think you would have noticed it's the fan. look at the fan next time you have a chance. I'm not sure, but it might keep working if you use the kill switch to turn off the engine. Please find out for us :].

the belt can also make all kinds of sounds. from clicking to grinding. think of it as a bass guitar string. it can vibrate and produce all sorts of notes depending on the input. every once in a while I hear the belt at lower speeds. as @diehard rider said, misalignment can be a cause. or even a dirty/sticky belt or pulley.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Durox-

I should probably clarify how the noise stopped once I stopped the bike. It didn't instantly stop...more like it quickly faded away.

It was dark so I couldn't see much from the parking lot lights overhead...if the rain lets up this weekend, I will get it back out during the daylight this weekend (or retrieve the maglight that my wife "borrowed"* and put it back where it belongs...in the saddlebag) and see if it is indeed the fan.

*I realize it's the nicest flashlight we own, but what part of "this doesn't leave the bike's saddlebags" can she not comprehend?????

·
Registered
412 Posts
My '12 classic does the exact same thing under the exact same conditions. The first time I heard it was practicing in the parking lot when I first got the bike (new, 10 miles). 5k miles later it still does it when I practice. It is the cooling fan.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, RickD! Good to have that confirmed and know it's o.k. I think reading all the tales of the stator failures on earlier models got me paranoid.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Yeah, the "Circular saw" sound sounds like the fan. You really won't hear, or even use, the fan unless you are doing low speed riding. For the most part, the fan is used more in low speed / traffic / etc. Sometimes mine will kick on in the interstate.

Only way to know for sure is with a meter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts