Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here and starting on Friday morning will be ripping into my 02 800 classic that I picked up this year because the stator decided it didn't want to play nice any longer. Oh well. it will be a good chance to work on the bike and see if there is anything else going on at the same time. Wish me luck. I have not done a stator before but it looks pretty straight forward. Going to remove old and prep everything Friday so that when the new one arrives between Saturday and Tuesday everything will be ready to go back together.

Just searching the group has been a big help in troubleshooting the issue and making plans for the change out.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
May have to remove motor but its no big deal to do, not sure side cover will come off while still in the frame. It will take a pretty good tug to get it off since the magnets hold it on even with all the bolts removed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really hope I don't have to pull the whole motor. I have the service manual and was looking through it for the details but I guess Friday morning I will find out. Because the new stator just showed up almost a week early. lol

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
You may be able to just unbolt the bolt and loosen the back bolt with a floor jack under the motor and rotate the motor up just a little. If you do have to pull the motor, its not that hard to do. It will probably take a couple hours and you should not have to remove it completely, just enough to get the bolts from the bottom of the side cover out and remove the cover.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced the stator this weekend and it was pretty easy actually. Did not have to pull the motor at all. Only issue was waiting for the gasket maker to set and be patient during that 24hrs. She is all back together and running really nice now. Thanks for the help. Now on to other projects like finding a 1/4 fairing that will fit and a new seat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts