Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have just replaced my stator, and just in time!
As can be seen in the pic, fried!
At first I did not want to believe it (until friday) but Sfair and Romans were so persistent and convincing that they made me change my mind.
Their support, help and tips on how to do it were invaluable.
I did remove the pulley without taking out the pipes. I had no problems doing the job.
The only big hassle was to do the soldering! I can't solder properly for the life of me! :(
(A friend did it for me at the end as I was running short of wire length :mad:...)
Glad to have done it, the next one perhaps in 6 years!?
Thanks
Gilles
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,265 Posts
Boy that looks familiar! Glad to hear you got through the process without too much trouble. Did you go with OEM or aftermarket?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rick's, $150.
To get an OEM down here would cost around $420. And Rick's are better I have been told...
Glad I have done the job myself, it's a learning curve...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,747 Posts
Excellent!

You recognized a problem, you asked for help, you did not dismiss the advise, you investigated, you found a problem, you repaired yourself, you saved a potential big dollar tow job and repair. You should be happy as a clam and deserve to be!!!

Did you remember to do a charging system voltage check when you were done?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Excellent!
Did you remember to do a charging system voltage check when you were done?
Did.
As follow:
(Using a simple digital auto ranging multimeter ).

tested battery, before restarting bike =< 12.57 volts
tested battery, bike on 3000 rpms =< 14.45 volts

tested reg/rec before restarting bike (and I trust they mean good :eek:):

Black probe to black, red probe to w1 = 0.L (which I take is infinite)
Black probe to black, red probe to w2 = 0.L
Black probe to black, red probe to w3 = 0.L

Black probe to red, red probe to w1 = 5.80 ohms
Black probe to red, red probe to w2= 5.55 ohms
Black probe to red, red probe to w3 = 5.67 ohms

Red probe to red, black probe to w1 = 0.L
Red probe to red, black probe to w2 = 0.L
Red probe to red, black probe to w3 = 0.L

Red probe to black, black probe to w1 = 5.71 ohms
Red probe to black, black probe to w2 = 5.66 ohms
Red probe to black, black probe to w3 = 5.67 ohms
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,265 Posts
I also went with Ricks for the same reason. Some of the money I saved went for the new regulator and battery. It's a good feeling when it all falls into place: and works isn't it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,747 Posts
I am tickled pink that you tested the charging voltage and the reg/rect. (which is required after a stator replacement).
You performed all of the steps to ensure a sucessful repair and you should be good to go!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,620 Posts
Awesome!

Although I STILL think you wasted effort removing the front pulley to get to the plug when you could have just soldered farther back and left the plug in place! :p

Oh well, I guess technically you did it the 'right' way, hehe.

Fantastic. Oh, and please, I don't deserve any of the credit on this one this is all sfair. I went through this before and sfair brought me through it step by step. I didn't know a stator from a starter when I started my project. I was just trying to regurgitate what sfair taught me and push you to follow sfairs advice he gives everyone- test, test, test!
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top