Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are any of you riding a 06, 07, 08 900 that hasn't had Stator problems? I have an 07 with about 19,000 mi. and have not had a problem yet. I am trying to be optomistic. My extended warranty just ran out and I didn't re-new it because I forgot about it. I would hate for it to go out 1,000 miles away from home..

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
A few on this forum have. One guy went 50k, others have gone 30-40k and not had an issue. It's not EVERY Vulcan, it's just a lot of those 06 and 07 900's (but not ALL 06 and 07 900's)

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've seen the one video that I can find on Youtube showing the sound. Are there other examples?

The reason I ask is that mine is an '06, and one of my complaints about it is a higher pitched sound from the engine. The video I saw on youtube sounded similar to what I hear - but I have always disregarded it as transmission noise? I don't notice any electrical fluctuations at all, so I'm hoping that my bike has already gotten a new one, or won't need one. She's at 26k miles right now.

EDIT:

Just went out and cranked the bike. I guess the sound I hear is more at speed than at idle. Probably just the noise 900 transmission. Better than a stator failure though.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
The stator whine is different from the common transmission whine in 2 ways. 1) it clearly comes from the front of the engine. 2) It sounds the same in neutral as it does rolling down the highway. It's easier to hear sitting still, but once you hear it, it's very distinctive and can be heard over the wind and engine noise; with stock pipes anyway.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My stator went out on my 06 at roughly 14k, replaced it and it been good so far... Just turned 20k on the clock this week..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I this forum had me worried, but I've had no issues, and Lloyd had no issues on his 2008.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've got a little over 17k miles on my 2007 custom... No issues so far. I bought it used with 9k on it, not sure if it had already been replaced or not... However it does the high rpm rev when u first start it for the first 1-2 minutes which is annoying and embarassing... I've been wondering if that is a sign of the stator going out and it is sensing low voltage? But it starts fine...

·
Registered
173 Posts
That high rev on start up is the ecu controlling the idle to warm the engine up.every. bike that is fuel injected does this.same as you having to pull a choke on an older carb bike.no need to be embarrassed by it.

Appalachian twisties!!!! GTA Love em!!!

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
my local dealer has not had even one reported stator fail on a 900... not one replaced under warranty and not even one person inquire about the price to get one replaced....

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've got a little over 17k miles on my 2007 custom... No issues so far. I bought it used with 9k on it, not sure if it had already been replaced or not... However it does the high rpm rev when u first start it for the first 1-2 minutes which is annoying and embarassing... I've been wondering if that is a sign of the stator going out and it is sensing low voltage? But it starts fine...

68novabbc....check out the sticky on the opening page for info on how to fix the fast idle problem....some really rev up some not so much. If its embarassing I would adjust it since it only takes a few minutes.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have a little over 12,000 miles on my 07 Classic with no stator problem so far. I'm feeling lucky but I don't see the repair being that big of deal to do myself. If I was taking a cross country journey and planning on a 5,000 mile ride I would take a spare stator along ($140 is no big deal) plus some tools for a roadside repair just to avoid a dealership $800 bill like I have heard about. Another thing I did was add the motorcycle/RV coverage to my AAA roadside service...costs an additional $30 a year and gives you free towing for at least 100 miles....even works on a friends bike if you were a passenger on his bike..wink wink. I ride in a lot of desolate areas where even a flat tire would be a catastrophe so its worth it to me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
That high rev on start up is the ecu controlling the idle to warm the engine up.every. bike that is fuel injected does this.same as you having to pull a choke on an older carb bike.no need to be embarrassed by it.

Appalachian twisties!!!! GTA Love em!!!
Mine revs excessively high and most of the time it does it the bike is already hot... such as stopping at a gas station. It doesn't do it immediately after startup but after about 30-60 seconds then it will do it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts