Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 900 Classic has a burnt stator at 13,000 miles. It was the "Alien noise" that led me to it. Anyway, the new stator is on its way. I plan on cutting and soldering the wires. Where exactly did you guys, who have done this, cut the wires for your splice? Obviously, I want to be outside the case, but did you splice where it runs along the top of the case a few inches back of the alternator cover? Looking at it that appears to be the spot. Also, I assume there is no selecting and matching of the 3 wires with the new wires on the stator, just cut and solder the individual new three wires wires with the three existing wires. I have noted they are unmarked.

Thanks for any help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
The 3 wires are interchangeable. I suggest your initial cut be just inside the case. This leaves you plenty of wire from the harness to work with. Once you've got things apart and can pull the plug and see how the wires thread around things you can make the decision about where to to do the soldering.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 3 wires are interchangeable. I suggest your initial cut be just inside the case. This leaves you plenty of wire from the harness to work with. Once you've got things apart and can pull the plug and see how the wires thread around things you can make the decision about where to to do the soldering.

Thank you for the input. I have the stator removed and am awaiting a Rick's
stator and to see how long the wires are on the new unit. I hope to run them through the grommet to the outside of the case where I'll splice them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
When I did mine (also with Rick's) I cut the wires off the old stator inside the cover. I found I didn't have the wrench I needed to remove the front pulley (book never mentioned pulling that) so I left about 12" of extra wire since I couldn't thread it properly. I ended up with a loop of wire behind the rear cylinder but its hard to see and hasn't created any problems so I've been loath to redo it. Maybe this fall when I pull it off the road for the winter. Good luck with yours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Do a search on "stator replacement" and find the posts by Sealpt.
He explains the whole procedure he went trough with photos,
extremely helpful!
I followed it and got the job done ok, even though I never did any of this before.
My setup added about 3.5 inches of wires but I hid them under the plate (behind the front pulley).
If you want I also have tips on how to do it that I discovered while doing the job.
G.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do a search on "stator replacement" and find the posts by Sealpt.
He explains the whole procedure he went trough with photos,
extremely helpful!
I followed it and got the job done ok, even though I never did any of this before.
My setup added about 3.5 inches of wires but I hid them under the plate (behind the front pulley).
If you want I also have tips on how to do it that I discovered while doing the job.
G.
Thanks for the reply, I'm going to end up with a bit of a loop of wire too. Still waiting for the gasket to arrive and I can finish the job. Did you guys solder as Rick's instructions call out?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I did mine (also with Rick's) I cut the wires off the old stator inside the cover. I found I didn't have the wrench I needed to remove the front pulley (book never mentioned pulling that) so I left about 12" of extra wire since I couldn't thread it properly. I ended up with a loop of wire behind the rear cylinder but its hard to see and hasn't created any problems so I've been loath to redo it. Maybe this fall when I pull it off the road for the winter. Good luck with yours.
I agree with the loop of wire, I'm going to do the same as it is too little wire to solder to be able to keep the leads short as they originally were.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
I didn't solder mine. I used 3M butt connectors. Interestingly enough, I bought mine from DennisKirk.com and it didn't come with any instructions. The website listed "3M connectors included" but I got nothing but the stator with about 15" wire leads. I still intend to go back, remove the pulley and do the wiring correctly, but I don't seem to be able to find the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,620 Posts
I would recommend soldering. The reason is, if a connector comes loose, it's not as bad as just having to reconnect it, it creates a potential for shorting on something, which will hurt the new stator up FAST.

I really recommend soldering and shrink tubing the wires.

I cut mine outside of the case. I used ricks supplied gasket and cut outside of there. Was easy to tuck everything for a nice clean look. Did it end up trimming some wire away from the stator to prevent it bein too long.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stator change successful. Tested the systems per the sticky and everything worked out. Big thanks for all the usefull contributions.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top