Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I know that these 900 Vulcans have stator problems, I just bought one and the kid said he had a mechanic diagnose bad stator so he replaced it but used butt connectors and it wouldn't run after. I bought it for super cheap and took the stator out and the connectors fell right out. the bike cranks but does not start. Im curious now does the stator need to be wired in for bike to run? can I use rtv, gasket maker paper, or anything else on the generator cover besides the metal gasket that I don't want to wait for? what would be the first thing to check if the bike is cranking and sounds good but no start? also I used starting fluid but nothing, thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also, I have been researching on this forum about stators but in all the forums the bikes were running to check the stator and rectifier that's why I made a new one because mine does not run. I have come to the conclusion that a guy names sfair is the guy to talk to so I hope he can chime in.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sfair was immensely helpful in diagnosing and ultimately replacing my stator last year... Dude knows his stuff!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
607 Posts
Stator doesn't come into play until the engine is running - you have other issues as well, will have to determine if electrical or fuel. I'm assuming if it's cranking good the battery is charged and voltage good, but probably wouldn't hurt to start with an overnight on the battery tender, then go from there. Like you said, sfair is the go-to guy.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Some questions:

1. What year?
2. How many miles?
3. Do you know any history of the bike?
4. What work have you done so far?
5. Any non-factory add-ons...pipes, fuel processor, etc?

I do not recommend the use of ether to start engines. It is for old worn out Clatterpillars only.

Post back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some questions:

1. What year?
2. How many miles?
3. Do you know any history of the bike?
4. What work have you done so far?
5. Any non-factory add-ons...pipes, fuel processor, etc?

I do not recommend the use of ether to start engines. It is for old worn out Clatterpillars only.

Post back.
Thanks for replying sfair! it is a 2006 900 classic, I think around 30,000 miles, I know that last summer the kid had it running but it would only run when the battery was charged then a few days of riding it wouldn't run until battery was charged again, he said his uncle who is a bike mechanic diagnosed bad stator, the kid bought a new stator and wired it in but thought he did it wrong, he used butt connectors that came undone immediately after I removed the cover. all I have done is take off intake, ran a couple different batteries because I have got three of them, I know one is brand new but it goes to another one of my bikes, I also took stator cover off. It has cobra pipes, k&n style intake, and a kuryakyn wild things fuel injection controller.

a little bit about me, I am a starting out automotive and diesel mechanic so I am very handy with tools. except a multimeter ha ha just my luck because that's the skill I need right now. I am in school learning electrical right now so sorry if I seem like I have no idea when it comes to anything electrical. I appreciate the help very much

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
1. Is the stator wired in correctly now?
2. You said you removed intake....what exactly is that?
3. While swapping batteries in and out, did you ever accidently connect one backwards or have any sparks when cables were connected?
4. The problem now is it cranks fine but no start?
5. Do you have a meter? If so, post back with make and model number.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1. Is the stator wired in correctly now?
2. You said you removed intake....what exactly is that?
3. While swapping batteries in and out, did you ever accidently connect one backwards or have any sparks when cables were connected?
4. The problem now is it cranks fine but no start?
5. Do you have a meter? If so, post back with make and model number.
No stator is out of bike I need to get a gasket first. The air filter and cover I meant, sorry wrong name for it. No I am sure I did not connect batteries backwards at all. Yes problem now is I need to get bike running to check stator first. No meter yet but ill go get one tomorrow from autozone probably.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any suggestions on what meter I should get? I want to spend about 30 to 40 or less if o could . I have a nice one from the tool truck on order now just don't have it yet. BTW thanks for the help

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Your price range is fine for a meter. Sometimes it is nice to have an audible tone, so if one has that and one does not, take the tone one.
Post back with make and model of meter and when you are ready to dip your toes!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
should be getting a meter today. but I will not be able to get to the bike until wed. of this week. So Any body a list of things to check first since its not starting? just the simple stuff or things these bikes usually have in common go wrong, I cant crank bike over because generator cover is off but I can turn key on and check electrical components. thanks guys.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
The crankshaft position sensor and its wiring are down in the stator area, so if it or its wiring were messed up during stator change, that would certainly cause a no-start condition.
Looking at anything else would be guesswork at this time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok I see, I was just curious if there is a good place to start with these bikes like a common problem for no start. Also is there a way to test crank position sensor without starting bike? I will be ready to dig in wed. and ill have a meter then too.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Since the stator area was played with and if the crankshaft position sensor is the culprit, I am betting that you will spot the problem...cut wire, bad connection, etc.
Also, check the rotor carefully for any rub marks.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Stator Issues

I cringe when I read of Stator Issues. My bike, an 07 900, has 18,000 miles on it and we have a few long trips scheduled this year. I didn't worry about it until I read this Forum, now when riding for 4-6 days it's on my mind a lot. I have it checked at the beginning of riding season and it tests to be ok and charging as it should, but after reading these posts it seems they just go out....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Try not to worry about it Sage1965. Enjoy the ride. I have 70 K on my 2007 and no issues with it. Maybe we got lucky in 2007.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
I cringe when I read of Stator Issues. My bike, an 07 900, has 18,000 miles on it and we have a few long trips scheduled this year. I didn't worry about it until I read this Forum, now when riding for 4-6 days it's on my mind a lot. I have it checked at the beginning of riding season and it tests to be ok and charging as it should, but after reading these posts it seems they just go out....
That is a tough call. What is peace of mind worth to you? Maybe a pre-emptive repair would be worth not having to worry about the stator. The aftermarket brands seem to be holding up well. The stator failure can occur at any time and anywhere....most likely when you are 500 miles from home, at night, in the rain! Then again, you might ride around the world twice and never have any problem.
I know one thing...any little whining sound coming from anywhere will result in a death grip on the bars!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey sfair, I have got a couple questions for you, can I start testing stator and rectifier with bike in pieces or do I need it to be running? also can I use anything else besides the actual gasket for the generator cover, like maybe rtv or something? thanks

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Check the stator sticky for static tests.
Correct OEM gasket recommended.

Post back with ANY questions you may have about the tests.

·
Registered
607 Posts
This is one reason I got a battery monitor. If you periodically check the charging voltage it will tell you pretty much right away if you lose charge. I don't know how most stators fail, but when my son's failed (a Ninja) it was just one of the three phases. It was still putting out some voltage but not enough to power the accessories AND keep the battery charged, so he probably could do a few dozen miles or more before it completely died. Even then, after letting the bike sit for about 15 minutes it was able to start and ride the ten minutes to home.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts