Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last few rides on my 9 I've been hearing a whine coming from the area of the stator. It changes with rpms, my very 1st thought was, ok here we go. So I have not had a chance to run thru testing the voltages. My trips have been short ones to work 5 min away. On my way home yesterday I had 3 stops to make. And each time I had to start it, battery sounded more and more drained. Last time it barely poped off so I headed home. Could certainly be battery going bad. Its been a few years. My kuryakyn volt meter does still go into the green when at speed tho. So I am hopeful a battery is all it needs.

But that whining sound has me nervous. Why would a failing stator whine?

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
When a stator shorts to ground, it puts a high load on it.
Since the stator generates AC, what you hear is an AC ringing in the stator coils due to high current.

Better pull that side cover off and have a look.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I caught my stator failure in its early stages, just as the whine began. On my bike-mounted voltmeter when I revved the engine the voltage was near 14, but at idle it was 11.8 when it beforehand had also been near 14. If your problem is a failing stator you could be left somewhere away from home with an engine shutdown. It's best to check your charging system with a multimeter to make certain that it is cranking out the proper voltage at all engine speeds. Also suggest checking your battery after the bike has sat with the engine off for a couple of hours. Shop manual spec for the battery at rest is at least 12.8v.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I plan to do all volt system checks. I also have a battery load tester to verify condition of battery. I'm almost certain the charging system is starting fail. The sound coming from that area of the stator is new. Although it does not sound as bad as what I have heard on YouTube. But it's a new noise for sure. Good thing I have 2 bikes as it looks like this one may be down for a bit. I'm off work next week and had a couple days set aside to change out the bars including all clutch, brake, and throttle lines. Now I guess it's going to start with these system checks 1st. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Stator Failure

My stator went out yesterday on my 2007 900 Custom. I did get 40k out of it and was lucky I was in a gas station when it would not start.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts