Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it happened. My OEM stator on my 07 900 classic died with 28,223 miles on the Odometer. Parts on order are supposed to arrive on Thursday.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
30k miles is pretty good!

Anyone who rides the 900 enough, especially if they have an '06 or an '07, is gonna deal with it. Oh well! I'd rather replace three stators in 100,000 miles than have to install cam chain tensioners, replace valves, deal with oil leaks, blown up transmissions, bad bearings, blowby from bad rings, etc. etc. that other makes and models of bikes will have to deal with by then!

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I am not even going to take a chance on the reg/rect. I am going to replace it.
I can understand how you feel. But, there is a great thread above and would suggest at least testing so you know which component failed. Even if just for future reference. Myself I don't like shot gunning parts, but I also don't want to be stranded.

·
Registered
48 Posts
30k miles is pretty good!

Anyone who rides the 900 enough, especially if they have an '06 or an '07, is gonna deal with it. Oh well! I'd rather replace three stators in 100,000 miles than have to install cam chain tensioners, replace valves, deal with oil leaks, blown up transmissions, bad bearings, blowby from bad rings, etc. etc. that other makes and models of bikes will have to deal with by then!
I'd rather replace those than replace the stator. The ACCT's are external and super easy to replace. If this were a Suzuki forum, than the stator would take precedence.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I'd rather replace those than replace the stator. The ACCT's are external and super easy to replace. If this were a Suzuki forum, than the stator would take precedence.
Well I'm referring to a combination. Most bikes have several common maintenance/repair items in the first 50k miles that we DON'T have.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I considered running the tests on my Reg/Rec when I was getting ready to replace the stator, but if when I read the official Kawi procedure for testing it I found that the last step is "If the regulator/rectifier passes all of the tests described, it may still be defective. Test the regulator/rectifier by replacing it with a known good unit." I bought a new one.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
I considered running the tests on my Reg/Rec when I was getting ready to replace the stator, but if when I read the official Kawi procedure for testing it I found that the last step is "If the regulator/rectifier passes all of the tests described, it may still be defective. Test the regulator/rectifier by replacing it with a known good unit." I bought a new one.
That is certainly an option.

·
Registered
702 Posts
After reading this thread and many others here, I have come to a conclusion. Kawasaki is junk. I rode a 1982 GoldWing for 26 years and finally gave it to my wife's son-in-law. When I passed it down, it STILL had the original fuel pump, water pump, alternator, radiator hoses, oil pump, EVERYTHING was original except the timing belts which were changed as scheduled. Yet Kawasaki's are plagued with a multitude of issues. Poor engineering, if you ask me. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I think you're stirring the pot. Lol

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
After reading this thread and many others here, I have come to a conclusion. Kawasaki is junk. I rode a 1982 GoldWing for 26 years and finally gave it to my wife's son-in-law. When I passed it down, it STILL had the original fuel pump, water pump, alternator, radiator hoses, oil pump, EVERYTHING was original except the timing belts which were changed as scheduled. Yet Kawasaki's are plagued with a multitude of issues. Poor engineering, if you ask me. What do you think?
Considering we've got a number of 100k+ Vulcan 900 with all of those same original parts minus the stator; I'd say we're doing okay. The 900 is an extremely reliable bike, it's just plagued with a poorly designed stator. Aside from that, it has no issues. Do the schedule maintenance and it'll hit 200k without anything but a stator change.

Nothings going to beat a GoldWing in Reliability. But as far as V-Twins go, Kawasaki generally rates pretty high. If I didn't know better, I could easily draw the same conclusion by going to a Goldwing forum and finding leaking head gaskets, blown up transmissions, failed stators, you name it. It's all there! That's because folks usually only post on a motorcycle forum for one of three reasons;

1) Something broke

2) They want to add something new

or

3) That want to shoot the breeze about some new bike or bash some other bike!

Rarely, if ever, to people post just to say all is well. Just doesn't happen! People tend to post about issues; so we get an 'unfair' sample when on a messageboard. Again, naturally, nothing beats a goldwing in the reliability department. But Kawasaki does pretty well!

The user Big Toe has got to be coming up on 200,000 miles now, he last posted at 150k. He had replaced the stator three times, and his drive belt once. End of list. 150,000 miles and no serious/major repairs (stator is external and a piece of cake to replace). He had NEVER EVER done the valve adjustments that are required every 15,000 miles, so he did finally burn one valve as a result.

I've got friends with other bikes, a buddy with a Yamaha at 40k that has had to have the cases split to replace a seal, and new rings. Another buddy with a Harley that was rebuilt around 45k, some cam chain work done at 20k, and something else was done just at 5k. Here I am at 25k having replaced a stator; and that's it!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Is the stator issue found only on a certain year or all years?
Most common in 06-07 bikes. There's also an aftermarket, Rick's motorsports, that is a great replacement that seems to last longer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Good thing this isn't a hardley crapperson forum. Otherwise, no one would report / ask how to fix their broken bikes. They all lie through their teeth while their bike sits in pieces waiting for their platinum covered parts to arrive.

The path to HD is the path to empty pockets. :p

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Just replaced stator on my 07 @ 9800 miles. I did not wait... did it immediately and back in the saddle. I've had so many various issues with all our vehicles lately I'm just about ready to sell the whole stinking lot. We had a major hail storm recently... baseball size and 2 cars messed up.

I say if you have a reason to brag about a machine... go ahead! But don't use the opportunity to knock what others may love even if they have to spend a stinking fortune on it to keep it moving.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Yet Kawasaki's are plagued with a multitude of issues. Poor engineering, if you ask me. What do you think?
What I think it depends on the night before , If they had a good drinking night or a bad one, are they half asleep or wide awake. your assembly lines no matter what country can have a bad day , So some things are good and some are bad , It all depands on the day it was made. Just like back in the day we call a FORD a Forever repair daily car. So not matter what you buy there will be a flaw

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but before I moved on to my new bike, I had a 900 Kaw, that I put 38,000 trouble free miles on her without any real trouble.. Only one scare where I thought the the stator was going out, and it turned out to be a wet electrical connection and bad battery.... minor maintenance that any bike would have issues with..... So, I'm on the other side and consider Kaw. to be a great MC provider and plan to go back to a Concour sport tourer in the future, once I've run the hell out of my 01 K bike. For the money, I don't think there is a better product on the market, as I was able to sell my 38,000 mile bike with full faith that I was providing the next FO a good value for the used bike price, and I had 3 full years of total fun and confidence on my 3000 mile tours that I would make the trip issue free. Should have probably stayed with the bike, but I'm grinning from ear to ear when pushing 120 on the highway on my beamer.....with plenty of throttle left.....:cool:

·
Registered
702 Posts
I guess I'm spoiled, used to riding an '82 GoldWing with NO issues. Tried the Concourse out before buying the Vulcan 2000, but the wife didn't care for it, I LOVED it ! When I gave away the GoldWing after 26 years, it was pushing 200K with all original parts !

1 - 20 of 24 Posts