Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took stator out. New one should be here sometime this week. Ordered one manufactured by Rick's Motorsport Electrics. Hope it lasts longer than OE stator. This one burnt up.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Mine failed about the same time! About to hit 30k though with the Rick's stator and it's working fine.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Amazing, every one that's posted pics look about the same. And yet my dealer says he's never heard of these bikes having stator problems.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Knock on wood...my bike is over 20k and I haven't had any problem yet. Reading these post makes me hesitant about adding a light bar.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
roman5.8, glad to hear Rick's stator is holding up... Can't wait for it to come in, should be sometime this week. Mtpocketsad, Are the 09's having the same issue? I thought I read that they may have changed the design in either 08 or 09 and those and newer weren't having this problem. I could be wrong. I have to research that...

·
Registered
953 Posts
Knock on wood...my bike is over 20k and I haven't had any problem yet. Reading these post makes me hesitant about adding a light bar.
Zig,

I have 28,000 plus with no stator issues. I ran a light bar till last year, have run a Shark radio since before the 1st Kaw-boy round-up and still run a GPS from time to time. I think it's luck of the draw. You either get a good stator, or you don't. A light bar shouldn't have any affect. They generate what they generate. The power is either used, or it isn't.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
30,000 miles, and no stator issues. That's why I don't use synthetic.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
30,000 miles, and no stator issues. That's why I don't use synthetic.
What does synthetic have to do with it? Was synthetic mentioned in this thread? Is the oil the reason for stator failure?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine failed at 24,700.Put in a Ricks and haven't had any trouble since.When mine burnt it took the regulator with it.Be sure to check it as well.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I tested the regulator as per the sticky and it checked ok. How many miles since you put in Rick's stator?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
What does synthetic have to do with it? Was synthetic mentioned in this thread? Is the oil the reason for stator failure?
Oh, Crod - that was a joke. Just adding some levity to the thread. Synthetic has nothing to do with it. It was mentioned, though - by me!:p

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Zig,

I have 28,000 plus with no stator issues. I ran a light bar till last year, have run a Shark radio since before the 1st Kaw-boy round-up and still run a GPS from time to time. I think it's luck of the draw. You either get a good stator, or you don't. A light bar shouldn't have any affect. They generate what they generate. The power is either used, or it isn't.
You're probably right Ken. Like Mrjcrod mentioned, maybe they got it worked out by 09.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
It makes me think that I should order mine now as I am nearing the 11K mark on my 09. Rather have it than wait.
The issue seems to be concentrated to the '06 and '07 models and appears to be an issue in the insulation. Look closely and I bet you find a small hole worn in your insulation.

Oh, Crod - that was a joke. Just adding some levity to the thread. Synthetic has nothing to do with it. It was mentioned, though - by me!:p
Oh! LOL. Had me scratching my head, as you're the first I've heard say synthetic somehow caused a stator issue! LOL.

You're is probably newer than an '07? Seems like the issue is 06-07 mostly. There are few, if any, threads about issues with the newer VN900s.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
The issue seems to be concentrated to the '06 and '07 models and appears to be an issue in the insulation. Look closely and I bet you find a small hole worn in your insulation.

Oh! LOL. Had me scratching my head, as you're the first I've heard say synthetic somehow caused a stator issue! LOL.

You're is probably newer than an '07? Seems like the issue is 06-07 mostly. There are few, if any, threads about issues with the newer VN900s.
Lol. Mine is a 06.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Lol. Mine is a 06.
Well consider yourself one of the lucky ones then!

I have a sneaking suspicion it's a 'batch' of 06-07 models that have the issue, as you do occasionally see those that have some miles without having to replace it, and you rarely see it on newer models.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I am nearing 28K miles on my '07 and so far no stator issues, known on wood, crossing fingers, rubbing rabbits foot, etc, etc, etc.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just hoping it was a stator design flaw and my new stator from Rick's will last FOREVER!!!! Guess we'll see.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts