Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thaught i would post some pics of my inspection sticker mod.
Made it possible to remove the old plastic dealer tag and clean up the back end. Cheap mod around 4 bucks. I removed the reflector just above the license plate,bought a small piece of 1/8th inch thick by 2" wide aluminum. Cut it to 3" length drilled holes and counter sank the bolts and there you have it. Then bought a 10 dollars chrome plate cover. I also installed the shark 250 watt stero, put the amp in the windshield bag.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Great mods and love the stereo system. Question though, does Texas require the inspection sticker to be so visible? In West Virginia it has be visible enough for officers to see it and tell if it's valid, but it doesn't have to be out in the open like that. Most of our inspection stations put the stickers on the back of the license plate.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Now that is an interesting question. Here in Texas the inspection sticker is supposed to be affixed within six inches of the registration sticker on a car windshield. But bikes? I am not sure about it but everybody here has them either near the license plate or side-mounted. I'd be willing to bet it is required to be quite visible because they are different colors for different years. For 2010 they are gray in color. That blue color in the photos is for 2009.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nacho

The inspection sticker in Texas must be in plain site on the back of the bike.
I just had it inspected a few weeks ago so the blue is still for 2010.

·
Registered
782 Posts
We just got lucky in North Carolina. They did away with inspection stickers altogether. Now, about 6 weeks before your license plate tags are due to be renewed, they send you a letter telling you to get the bike(cage, whaterver) inspected. The shop that does the inspection has a computer link to the the state registration office. Once they inspect it, the state computer shows it and then you can go buy your license plate sticker for the next year. If you don't get it inspected, they revoke the vehicle registration. Which makes all kinds of bad things happen, from insurance being cancelled, to the local town hall calling about the abandoned vehicle in your possession. Either way, no more ugly stickers on my forks. Also, depending on when your vehicle inspection fell in relation to your license sticker, you could end up going anywhere for 13 - 24 months without getting an inspection that first time. I was able to go 24 months since my inspection and license sticker fell on the same month. :D

·
Registered
455 Posts
Each state does it differently.

In the old days here in Mass, they licked the sticker, folded it in half - gummy side to gummy side, and you kept it in your wallet.

Now, it's a sticker that goes on your license plate. Inspection on the left side of the plate, renewal/expiration on the right. All inspections due by end of May, different color each year. Not a bad system. But, I like the NC one above better. Just makes more sense, with everything online together these days.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Agreed, NC has got their stuff together! It's not too bad here in WV either, but storing the inspection record in a state database seems so much more efficient of a system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts