Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'01 800 (vn800a)
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having difficulties with my ‘01 vn800a. Mostly, It starts, revs high, then dies out. There are few times where it started and idles for quiet some time with no issue. I’ve gotten brand new K&n air filter. Top air box is deleted. Air valve is deleted. Straight vacuum to petcock. New plugs in couple days ago.. cleaned the carb multiple times. Made sure intake boot was completely tight. I’m at a loss and it’s pissing me off because I just want to go ride.. and he’ll would be appreciated.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Did it run correctly for awhile, or has it been like this since you got it?

I would try running it with the gas cap off to make sure you're not getting vacuum in the gas tank from a clogged vent line. Then I'd remove the gas tank and rig up a way to pour gas directly into the carb (a funnel on the end of the fuel line?). See if it will run like that.

Then I'd check my battery voltage at rest, cranking, and running, although it doesn't really sound like an electrical problem.

How did your plugs look when you pulled them out?

·
Registered
'01 800 (vn800a)
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when i had first gotten it, it wouldn't run at all. so I've made some sort of progress with it. i have a petcock rebuild kit ordered. hopefully it will be hear today. but running it with tank open doesn't change anything. battery is brand new but i will chem the voltage out and let you know the results.

plugs were dirty as hell. they weren't wet but looked like it. dark black. definitely not how they're suppose to look.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Having difficulties with my ‘01 vn800a. Mostly, It starts, revs high, then dies out. There are few times where it started and idles for quiet some time with no issue. I’ve gotten brand new K&n air filter. Top air box is deleted. Air valve is deleted. Straight vacuum to petcock. New plugs in couple days ago.. cleaned the carb multiple times. Made sure intake boot was completely tight. I’m at a loss and it’s pissing me off because I just want to go ride.. and he’ll would be appreciated.
If you haven’t done a valve adjustment yet, you should do that right away. Improper valve clearances would explain the fouled plugs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Make sure your float is not sticking and the level is right in the bowl. Check with some clear tubing with two marks just a hair wider apart than 1/16" and one about 1/4" lower. Make sure the bike is level (not on kickstand) and connect the clear tube to the carb drain. Hold the tube so the lowest mark is even with the top edge of the float bowl then open the drain screw. Once the level settles, slowly slide the tube down until the next mark lines-up with the top of the float bowl. The fuel should be at the upper mark. If you move the tube down too far and then back up, it's going to read high. The boot connection between the carb and the intake can leak and you'll never get it to run. Make sure it is fully on and tightened. (Those screws are a b$%&h to get to). The stock intake setup is critical if you are going to keep the carb jetted the same. Just a K&N requires adjusting the pilot screw out and could mean going up a jet size on the pilot jet. Put some duct tape around the outside of the filter leaving only about 20% of the surface area exposed. If it tries to run, you know you are way too lean. Remove the tape! Start with the pilot screw. Get a 90-degree screwdriver designed for these. Summit Racing sells a Motion Pro 08-0229 and trust me, you will thank me later! Turn in the pilot screw (gently) counting turns until it bottoms. If you started less than two full turns out, try turning it out one full turn more than it was. Turning it out more than 3 turns does nothing. If that doesn't get you idling, you may need to increase the pilot jet size. If you have removed the airbox, you are really flowing well and your stock setup absolutely will not idle and it will be lean throughout the entire throttle range. I'd recommend a main jet of 140 as a minimum, pilot jet of 50, and get some washer spacers for the needle. I don't have a link for them but a quick search will find them. If memory serves, spacing up the needle about 0.050" is the sweet spot but there are lots of ways to tune the needle and it will depend on your own preferences. Oh, don't mess around with anything until you get the pilot jet and screw right first. Also, start with the pilot screw open about 1/2 turn after you've made the jet change. With the engine warm and the enrichener (sometimes called a choke but it isn't a choke on a CV) pushed all the way in, turn the pilot screw out slowly until the rpm's maximize. If it doesn't increase but just gets worse, you have too large a pilot jet. If you get to three turns and the idle is still going up, your pilot jet is still too small. When you start on the main and needle, just change the main first and then ride the bike. Take the top off the slide and put a washer on the needle, reinstall it, and ride it. If you like the change, keep going. Some guys like to make that change and then try increasing the main jet once more just to see if they can get even more performance out of it. Once properly tuned, that CV carb will outperform any other carburetor out there. Cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts