Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tried this thread in the vn2000 forum and now I'll throw it out here.

2008 VN2000 Classic LT. Pulled the tank to check coolant level and clean frame and engine (tank had approx. 2 gals fuel in it). Reinstalled fuel tank and tried to start. Took a minute but finally started. OK at idle for about 10 seconds then died and would not restart. Turned key off then back on. Fuel pump ran for 3 seconds as usual and bike started fine but died as soon as the enrichment kicked off. Key off, key on and bike started fine. RPM to 2000, ran for about 5 seconds then bucked, returned to idle and stalled. This condition is repeatable and consistent. Motor seems to run normally with no unusual noises until it stalls. Fuel is fresh. Bike seems to be running out of fuel. Plugs are black and dry (cleaned). Primary and secondary butterflies working normally. Fuel flow from fuel pump seems normal with fuel line disconnected and hose connected to fuel pump outlet. Air filter is new.

Anybody out there dealt with a similar problem? What was the cause and the fix. Any help appreciated. Bob

·
Registered
58 Posts
Tried this thread in the vn2000 forum and now I'll throw it out here.

2008 VN2000 Classic LT. Pulled the tank to check coolant level and clean (tank had approx. 2 gals fuel in it). Reinstalled fuel tank and tried to start. Took a minute but finally started. OK at idle for about 10 seconds then died and would not restart. Turned key off then back on. Fuel pump ran for 3 seconds as usual and bike started fine but died as soon as the enrichment kicked off. Key off, key on and bike started fine. RPM to 2000, ran for about 5 seconds then bucked, returned to idle and stalled. This condition is repeatable and consistent. Motor seems to run normally with no unusual noises until it stalls. Fuel is fresh. Bike seems to be running out of fuel. Plugs are black and dry (cleaned). Primary and secondary butterflies working normally. Fuel flow from fuel pump seems normal with fuel line disconnected and hose connected to fuel pump outlet. Air filter is new.

Anybody out there dealt with a similar problem? What was the cause and the fix. Any help appreciated. Bob
I've never taken the tank off, any chance a fuel line is pinched? You describe the symptoms as like running out of gas. Loosen the tank and check before you re-install.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Meant to say I cleaned the road grime from the frame and engine. Decided to let it set for a couple of days and think about it. Running out of gas seems to be the problem. I'm leaning towards a bad fuel pump (pressure regulator). Gonna get a couple of feet of fuel hose and connect to fuel pump outlet, turn ignition on and check flow from pump and try to determine approx. fuel pressure by crimping the hose or borrowing a guage (should be 43-44 psi static) and then making sure the fuel pump will stay running with no pressure on it.

Clarified the original post. Bob

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, it ran fine. Think I might have found the problem though. Fuel line from pump to fuel block is a hard plastic rubber covered line and there was a partial crimp in it. Don't know how or when it happened as it's in a place unaffected by tank removal. Tried to remove crimp with pliers. Think I got it and when I get over this damn cold I'll try it again. Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts