Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:Finished the euro-gear mod, got it all back together and got one 15 minute ride. Came home, parked bike in garage. Next day, pulled gas tank to check coolant level (was OK), re-installed tank and started bike. Ran fine at idle until enrichment kicked off and then stalled. Would not re-start. Turned key off then back on. Fuel pump ran for 3 seconds like it should and bike fired right up and idled fine. Motor was warm so I increased RPM to about 2000. OK for a couple of seconds the motor stumbled, returned to idle and died. Will do this consistently. Fuel pump flow checked and is OK. Primary and secondary butterflies seem to work normally. Spark plugs black and dry (cleaned and checked). Bike acts like it's running out of gas.

Anyone else had this type of problem? What was the cause and the fix? Really don't want to fork out $500.00 for a new fuel pump.

Forgot to mention that the fuel is fresh.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Bob

·
Registered
145 Posts
When I first bought mine back in '05, it did this intermittently...in my case it turned out to be a bad coolant level sensor. dealership fixed and no issues like that since.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
30 hours troubleshooting this problem. Got REAL familiar with V2K electrical system. I figure about a grand if the dealer had to do this.

UP TO MY ELBOWS IN VULCAN GUTS!

004.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

Had to dig pretty deep to find the problem.

A $34.00 starter control relay not closing to send power to the coils.

Bike now has new fuel pump and fuel hose, plugs and coils completely rewired. Turns out it wasn't needed.

On another note, I have two sets of three 1/2" high heat vacuum caps and a 22 ohm / 5 watt resistor for the AIS removal mod available to anyone who is willing to pay the postage. Send me a PM and we can make arrangements. Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts