Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just acquired a 2007 900 that has been sitting for 10 years. Replaced the fuel pump, cleaned tank, new plugs new battery. It has 43 miles on it. I can get it to start but not run more than 10 - 15 second then slowly quits. Have cleaned injectors. I want to be able to check and make sure the ECM is working correctly but I need help.

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
According to the VN900 shop manual there is no way of testing the ECM itself directly, but only by testing its functions with the components which it regulates. From your description the problem could be related to the fuel or/and air supply.
Other members may have more useful suggestions.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Maybe check the air filter for mouse debris.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tried yesterday evening and this morning, would not start at all. It doesn't seem to be getting gas, new fuel pump seems to be working but injectors do not seem to be opening. Got the manual and will start going through the test for all the related sensors. Posted video, maybe this will helphttps://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5cde894ece0f4/20190517_061057.mp4

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
Are there any codes?

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Do not go wildly poking here and there, but use a logical troubleshooting technique.
Employing guesswork could easily introduce another fault and then the real tail chasing begins.

1. Attempt a start and then immediately remove the plugs to check for being fuel soaked, or?
2. Why/how did you clean the injectors?

To bad you could not have taken the video when it would start and stall as that can give clues to the possible problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is what is next, to go through it logically. Start with the pump, then again on the injectors the the sensors that may he locking it out. Thanks for the help and I will keep you informed on my progress.

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
You are missing what I am saying.
Do not "go through things", but rather determine WHY you have a no-start using observations.
Is it flooding, is it starving, no spark, etc., etc., etc.
Using the shotgun method can lead to tail chasing and a light wallet.

See post #9, step 1 for a good place to start and you never answered step 2.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am not missing what you are saying. When I said I would go through a logical method that means observation first. As for cleaning the injector I used throttle body cleaner to pressurize the injector removed from the bike and added power to the connection opening up the solenoid and spraying the cleaner through until I got a spray pattern through all the orifices.

Steve

·
Registered
314 Posts
Nice! What was the problem?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like the bike was leaning to the right on the lift and with just a little bit of gas it was not being pick up by the pump. Idle was way off. Ran Good. Next going to chang oil, work on idle some more and let the seafoam in the tank continue to clean the fuel system. Maybe tackle the fuel gauge next and then new tires. Original tires so will be looking for suggestions. Looking right know at Commander II maybe?

Steve

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe so, but if you had to have seen it. It was as clear as the day it went in. Only ran it about five minutes before I changed it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the exact problem.

I too bought a 2007 900 that was 10 years old and had been sitting a long time. I worked on it, and finally had a shop work on it. This was the deal. The fuel filter within the fuel assembly was toast. Disintegrated into dust. The fuel is routed through the assembly in such a manner that it passes through a secondary filter that is manufactured within the plastic assembly housing. It is non-serviceable. You must purchase the entire assembly. And it's about $450-500!!!!
That sucks. I think Kawasaki did that crap on purpose. I tried everything before I spent the money (and then I let a shop "troubleshoot" on it a couple of MONTHS). Kawasaki will not sell you any subassembly parts. They only sell the entire assembly. However, if you want to agonize as I did you can find the filter on eBay for a few bucks ($4-5), as well as a new fuel pump (about$30). But if the screen in the assembly is plugged/restricted (it is, if the filter is toast) you really don't have an option.
That being said, the bike runs like a champ since I had the assembly installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
I too bought a 2007 900 that was 10 years old and had been sitting a long time. I worked on it, and finally had a shop work on it. This was the deal. The fuel filter within the fuel assembly was toast. Disintegrated into dust. The fuel is routed through the assembly in such a manner that it passes through a secondary filter that is manufactured within the plastic assembly housing. It is non-serviceable. You must purchase the entire assembly. And it's about $450-500!!!!
That sucks. I think Kawasaki did that crap on purpose. I tried everything before I spent the money (and then I let a shop "troubleshoot" on it a couple of MONTHS). Kawasaki will not sell you any subassembly parts. They only sell the entire assembly. However, if you want to agonize as I did you can find the filter on eBay for a few bucks ($4-5), as well as a new fuel pump (about$30). But if the screen in the assembly is plugged/restricted (it is, if the filter is toast) you really don't have an option.
That being said, the bike runs like a champ since I had the assembly installed.
Kawasaki Part # 99999-0521 lists for $65.00 and includes all you see here.

pumpfilters.jpg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts