Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short answer – StaBil wins hands down. Have always used StaBil in the bikes for winter storage and frankly, have never had any issues. My dealer said they were using StarTron (and selling it in a major way) with great results. New and improved is always better, yes? Gave it a try during the 2012 winter hibernation. 2 FI bikes, 1 carb bike, 1 carb scooter. Waking them up in 2013 was, to say the least, difficult. All the bikes required repeated cranking, noticeably sputtered, and idled roughly for an extended period. (Interestingly, the carb-fed bikes actually started with less hesitation than the FI’s AND the Vulcan was the hardest start of all).

Went back to StaBil for 2013 and, as mother nature is finally allowing some hope in the weather, are firing-up the sleds. This year, with StaBil in the tanks, the FI bikes fired up on the first crank, sputtered only for a few seconds and eased into a smooth, cold-rpm-idle. Looking to awaken the carbed bikes this weekend. Certainly not scientific results, but sometimes seat-of-the-pants is good enough.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thats interesting, my experience has been just the opposite. I switched from Stabil to Startron because of the limited shelf life of Stabil and because Startron was developed primarily for the marine industry where motors sit in storage for long periods of time. Two FI bikes and two carbed bikes and everything started up just fine using Startron, just like they did when I used to use Stabil. Not sure what all this means but it is intersting. I wonder now what other people's experience has been.

Kovo

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm 65 and have used Stabil all my adult life in my bikes and mowers. As a "semi-prepper", I also keep several large containers of gas handy "just in case". Never a problem with stored fuel. Newer doesn't always mean better or improved.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I bought a bottle of StarTron a couple years back when we still had Lacy's Shadow. It was carbureted and I didn't want any ethanol damage during the first winter it was stored. I also used Sta-Bil. I don't remember if StarTron claims to be a fuel stabilizer, but it is most certainly ethanol treatment. If that's all it's doing, it won't cut the mustard where stabilzation is concerned.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I cannot vouch for either Sta-Bil or StarTron but last year I put my 900 "to sleep" with a full tank of non ethanol gas and Seafoam. Last week it started exactly the same as when I put it away...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Always used Stabil but switched last year to StarTron due to claims of helping with issues due to the use of ethanol. Bike sat 5 months and started like it was parked for one day.

·
BOTM Winner, August 2015
283 Posts
It's Sta-bil for me. Have used it in all my collector cars, motorcycles, lawn and garden equipment, fishing boat and stored fuel for the past 35 years without an issue.

·
BOTM Winner, October 2015
476 Posts
OLD THREAD I KNOW

I have always Sta-Bil'ed the bike, the boat, the lawn gear and the snowthrower. I work for Sears Holdings and one of my Sears Auto Center buyers emailed me saying "...Star Tron Fuel Treatment works better than Sta-bil. We carry both, but for boats, Star Tron is suggested. It is an enzyme based additive that breaks down debris that notoriously gums up filters, injectors and carbs. Really helps with the ethanol blended gas that is being sold today. I have samples in my office if you would want to try". So I did. He gave me a pint of it, I'll be using this year.

·
BOTM Winner, August 2015
283 Posts
I have heard good things about Star Tron but have not tried it. As I stated in previous post, I have used Sta-bil in my boat, collector cars, motorcycles and lawn & garden equipment since the early '80's without a hitch... Sta-bil bottle says it treats ethanol issues with todays fuels too...

I say if it ain't broke don't fix it... gonna stick with Sta-bil here...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts