Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just about 100,000 miles on my ride (160,000km) and other that oil, filter, and tires, I have not had to touch anything on it. Pulls strong, no oil burning, starts stops, etc. I am about to head out on a longer trip in a few months and wonder if I should have anything done to it. Might have a noise in the lower front end (cam chin tension?)
Any thought /advice is appreciated
Kevin
2009 voyager

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well I'm a new 2009 voyager owner and I was waiting for all the things to keep an eye on. I am selling my Nomad that has 90k and still runs phenomenally well. Maybe they corrected all of them on the voyager

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
if that is all you have done on a bike that old and w/ that many miles, there are a LOT of things you should be looking at. checking, greasing, and torquing the steering stem bearings (i would recommend replacing them w/ all balls bearings). changing coolant, hoses, and related rubber parts. servicing brakes (pads, if needed, rebuild calipers - new rings & seals, new brake & clutch hoses). there is plenty more. you should get a service manual and get caught up on routine and periodic checks and maintenance.

having an unforeseeable major failure on the road is bad enough (been there, 2200 miles from home), but a failure that could have been prevented w/ proper maintenance...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Rebuilding calipers?? I can see new pads but rebuilding calipers as a precaution ranks right up there with new piston rings, just in case.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Rebuilding calipers?? I can see new pads but rebuilding calipers as a precaution ranks right up there with new piston rings, just in case.
seals and o-rings get old. the calipers can start leaking, sticking, or outright fail. kawi manual for voyager recommends rebuilding every 4 years or 30k miles. not excessive in my opinion. if your brakes fail you at a critical moment...

·
Registered
14 Posts
as the pads wear more of the piston is exposed where it will collect more brake dust (it is abrasive) which then wear the seals etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts