Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my wifes bike seems to have suffered a change. it will only start in neutral. Im pretty sure it used to start in gear with the clutch engaged. any idea where the component is that controls this?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if its in gear even with the clutch engaged, there is nothing. all of the instrument lights are on but nothing to the starter, kind of like the kill switch is on but its not. nudge it into neutral and it fires right up. pretty sure it used to start in gear with the clutch lever pulled in ?????

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Silly question, but is the stand down? These bikes will start in gear with the clutch in, but NOT if the kickstand is down.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Possibly check the starter lock-out switch (left handlebar by the clutch lever ).

·
Registered
847 Posts
Starting 900

I had a similar experience with my 07. When I bought it I had to pull the clutch in to start, no matter where or what. A few months ago I was showing it to a friend and told him to pull the clutch in to start, but he didn't pull the clutch and it started. It will start in neutral w/ stand down and clutch lever not pulled in or disengaged.......I thought I was imagening things, well, maybe not.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
The only time you can start the bike with the stand down is in neutral. If it is in gear then the clutch has to be pulled AND the stand up. I have fallen victim to it a few times. I have been sitting on the bike for a few minutes talking to someone, then go and start the bike and have the stand still down. But if you have all of the stuff in place and the engine is still not turning, then I would start checking the safety switches. Spray them down with some good electrical contact cleaner. work them back and forth. If not change then get a meter on it and test the continuity of the switches, and see if you have an open and close situation. I cant remember if the switches need to be left open or closed to start, but that is a moot point.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this thing will not start unless in neutral. I have tried with stand down and stand up with clutch lever pulled in- no go. there must be a switch somewhere that has gone gunny bags, but damned if I can figure out where it is!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I had a similar experience just yesterday when I was taking my motorcycle road test (I've been riding on a permit all year). The examiner came out and told me to turn the bike on and it took me two or three minutes to figure it out. I'd left the stand down in my hurried mounting of the bike. Was quite embarrassing. Passed the test though, so... haha.

Hope you figure it out soon! It definitely made my heart sink when I couldn't get mine started.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
this thing will not start unless in neutral. I have tried with stand down and stand up with clutch lever pulled in- no go. there must be a switch somewhere that has gone gunny bags, but damned if I can figure out where it is!
The wires going to the clutch lever switch may have come loose. It happens sometimes when the bike is washed and wiping it down in a hurry the rag will catch on one of the wires. You can also disconnect the two wires and jumper them together then try starting the bike. Check that connection before moving down to the side stand switch. If both locations check out then pull the tank and check the plug connections located on the backbone of the frame. There's like four or five connectors mounted all in a row. Good luck.

·
Registered
53 Posts
When I bought mine new, it wouldn't start in gear only in neutral. After several arguments w/my fiancé :mad:(because it was locked in gear) HE got it locked in gear:p & realized it was true! So I took it to the dealer & it was fixed (free) under the 2nd yr. of warranty.:)

·
Registered
166 Posts
the clutch switch is under the lever, sidestand switch is connected to the kickstand and the neutral switch is off the casing. i know on my 94 1500a8 the three of them work in unicen, so if one fails, they all fail (so to speak) like a triple acting protection. i do not mean when one goes bad they all go bad.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
And why you want that repaired is because if you should stall leaving a green light, you do not want to be poking at your shift lever trying to get into neutral while that cement truck is bearing down on you from behind.
You should be able to pull the clutch, hit the starter and away you go before your back fender gets creased.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, finally figured it out. Put some new risers on and they created enough pull on wire harness to pull a plug out of receptacle under the tank. Lifter the tank up and Voila! there it was! spliced in a few inches of wire and plugged it back in and it all works fine! thanks for the help everyone!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts