Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 vn 900 classic LT, and recently it will not crank unless it is neutral. I have had the clutch switch checked and the ohm meter indicated it is working correctly. The engine will shut off when you put the kick stand stand. also it will not crank with the stand down, so everybody tells me it is working properly. I can not find any broken wires or bad fuses. has anybody have any idea what is going on with the bike

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Starting: option 1, side stand down, bike in neutral, clutch out.
option 2, side stand up, bike in gear, clutch in.
What was it doing before that it doesn't do now?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1-in gear clutch in stand down nothing
2-in gear clutch in stand up nothing
3-will only start with gear in neutral

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just checked. Stand down in neutral it starts. Stand down, in gear, clutch in - no start. Stand up and in neutral and also in gear with clutch in it does start.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
it will only start if it is in neutral with stand up or down,
in gear with stand up clutch in it will not start. only if it is in neutral

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
Ok, do the following:

1. Remove positive battery cable.
2. Set meter to audible tone or lowest resistance scale.
3. Locate relay box, probe red/green wire on connector with red meter lead.
4. With stand up, clutch pulled, put black meter lead to battery ground.
5. Should have continuity.

Post back with your results.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Have you been under the tank? If so you've probably have a connector not making. I had the same problem and it was after I had done some work under the tank. Lifted the tank and found the (slightly) dislocated plug. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Have you been under the tank? If so you've probably have a connector not making. I had the same problem and it was after I had done some work under the tank. Lifted the tank and found the (slightly) dislocated plug. Good luck.
A very valid point. There's a two pin plug connector G/W & R/G at the end of the wire loom coming from the left handlebar switch. Not sure if it's in the headlight or under the tank. Your clutch switch may prove good but the plug might be loose which will give you the same results.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, do the following:

1. Remove positive battery cable.
2. Set meter to audible tone or lowest resistance scale.
3. Locate relay box, probe red/green wire on connector with red meter lead.
4. With stand up, clutch pulled, put black meter lead to battery ground.
5. Should have continuity.

Post back with your results.
ok I found the relay but could not locate the red/green wire. I have a yellow/red/green wire. would that be the wire. also do I unconnect the plug to to the relay to check for continuity or do I push the point of the meter wire thru the insulation and leave it plugged in. If I dont have continuity on the relay does that indicate the relay is bad. thanks so much for the info and help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok I found the relay but could not locate the red/green wire. I have a yellow/red/green wire. would that be the wire. also do I unconnect the plug to to the relay to check for continuity or do I push the point of the meter wire thru the insulation and leave it plugged in. If I dont have continuity on the relay does that indicate the relay is bad. thanks so much for the info and help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A very valid point. There's a two pin plug connector G/W & R/G at the end of the wire loom coming from the left handlebar switch. Not sure if it's in the headlight or under the tank. Your clutch switch may prove good but the plug might be loose which will give you the same results.
no never been under the tank but i did check all the plugs and connection i could find and reach, and all are tight

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
engine runs normal. unless the stand is down then the engine turns off.
OK, then the side stand switch is working however the clutch switch circuit is not. I'm thinking the problem is right there at the switch. Either the switch is bad, or no longer making contact with the clutch lever, or the connections to the switch have been damaged (broken wire). Unplug the switch and jumper the two wires at the connector. Try starting the bike in gear with the side stand up.

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
OK, then the side stand switch is working however the clutch switch circuit is not. I'm thinking the problem is right there at the switch. Either the switch is bad, or no longer making contact with the clutch lever, or the connections to the switch have been damaged (broken wire). Unplug the switch and jumper the two wires at the connector. Try starting the bike in gear with the side stand up.
Do NOT forget to pull the clutch in if you try this or there might be an accident!

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
Yes, unplug the connector from the relay box.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts