Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I go to start the VN900, i need to press the starter more than once to get the bike to turn over and start rumbling...

Is this normal or should it only take 1 press of the starter to get her going?

The battery voltage measures 12.8V.

Also, do i need to wait for the bike to idle a lot before I click into gear and ride away?

Romper

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Had issue on my 800 were it would not start without pushing button several times. Cleaned contacts on the button itself and havent had a problem in 3 years. You have to take the switch housing apart and you'll see the contacts. I think I used WD40 and 600 grit wet dry sand paper, lightly sanded. If its running fast, wait till idle slows and you should be good to go. Some think bikes, and cars, should be warmed up before operating but they will warm up quick in use, just dont run it hard till its warmed up.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
You didn't say what it does do when you press start. Needing more than one press is not normal. My '07 starts in 1 to 2 seconds every time. Even in sub-freezing temps.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Agree with rick...my 08 1500 had a light white corrosion on some of the chrome when I woke her up from storage last spring. My starter button was intermittent also. Since my battery was 6 years old I went ahead and purchased one, however, the starter button still worked as you described. Eventually this problem cleared itself but I would have cleaned the contacts if it kept failing.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Mine would sometime click, other times nothing. If its turning over but not starting, the problem is elsewhere. Be good idea to clean the battery post and connections at the selenoid while you are at it if it just wont crank or clicks.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Have to be perfectly clear on the problem. Are you saying when you push the start button, it turns over but does not start?
Seems "turns over" is NOT a universal term

I press the button for around 2 secs and does not start. I then repeat that one more time or another two times before she starts.

Romper
FYI...just remember the head lamp comes on after releasing the starter button the first time. IMHO may be better to crank for up to 5 seconds and see if she fires.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Do not "try" anything until the fault has been nailed down. You run the risk of introducing other problems and then the REAL fun begins.

When you push the start button for the first time, does the starter turn the engine over but does not start? This has to be clear or you will be chasing your tail!

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Seems "turns over" is NOT a universal term

FYI...just remember the head lamp comes on after releasing the starter button the first time. IMHO may be better to crank for up to 5 seconds and see if she fires.
The headlight coming on after release of start button is a fluke, not by design and cannot be counted on.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
The headlight coming on after release of start button is a fluke, not by design and cannot be counted on.
I recall this conversation a time ago in another thread. My head lamp comes on consistently after I release the starter button. Do it at inspection time for inspector can check low/ high beam. I would imagine several conditions have to be met for this fluck (ha) to happen. Certainly don't want to debate design happenchance with you, as I cussed Engineers out during Device Servicing.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
1. Do you hold the start button until it starts or do you poke at it for a second or two and then release?
2. When it starts, is it on fast idle?
3. Do you touch the throttle during start?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1. I sort of poke at it for 1 or 2 secs and then release.

2. it sounds a bit faster upon startup (and then slows).

3. do not touch throttle during start.

ROmper

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.