Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On my 900 Vulcan Classic (bone stock) I have noticed since I bought it that the way it starts is a little odd. When I turn the key FI light comes on ( as the pump primes ) and then shuts off.

This is when I start it. While pressing the starter button the FI light comes on while the starter button is pressed. It starts but the FI light is still on and it has a really slow idle like it isn't going to keep running, then the "warm up" mode kicks in and gets the RPMs blaring. The initial slow idle I'm describing is much slower than the typical Idle after it warms up.

*I do know that there has been a fix to the warm up high idle and that I can adjust that, but I have not gotten around to it yet.*

I am wondering if anyone has an idea whats going on, why the FI light stays on after the starter button is released and why it seems that the idle is really low?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Maybe I'm not understanding you right, but that sounds normal to me. When I turn my ignition on, the FI light and pump do their thing. Hit the starter button and the bike fires up, then goes to the high idle to warm up. After a minute or two or five if it's really cold the idle slows down to normal. After that I'm good to go.

·
Registered
450 Posts
That looks/sounds normal. Either that or I have an issue as well lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol Sometimes it doesn't high idle as quick and it seems like the idle is so low its not going to stay running, then all of a sudden high idle kicks on and does its thing.

Maybe I'm just crazy

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Sounds normal to me as well. Mine may even idle a bit faster, then slows to a normal slow idle once warmed. The FI light went off quickly after you started the bike. Others will have to confirm, but have heard the FI light can stay on if the idle is really too slow (almost stall levels). But, your clip looks and sounds good.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sounds normal to me as well. Mine may even idle a bit faster, then slows to a normal slow idle once warmed. The FI light went off quickly after you started the bike. Others will have to confirm, but have heard the FI light can stay on if the idle is really too slow (almost stall levels). But, your clip looks and sounds good.
agree... change bike color to black and you would have the look and sound of my 9... along with the fuel gauge reading empty but it probably isn't Lol!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hello, Although I have a 1700 nomad, I think I know what your talking about. Sometimes it will fire right up and run great. Other times, which is getting more often now is it will start up when cold with no problem. After I run it for awhile and then shut it down and let it sit for a hour or so, it doesn't want to start right up. When I push the starter it starts but the idle will almost go down to nothing and then it will start up. It has on occasions even backfired and stopped running all together. I will start it back up and it runs fine. I am also getting a eror message 18 which is the APS sensor. Going to dealer next week. I know mine is a 1700, but it is still FI. Oh My wifes 900 starts right up with no problem. Might go back to one of those, NOT
Bill

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I dunno. I guess I'm gonna play with the idle a little bit and see how it goes. I'd be really nice to have a tach so I know what RPM the Idle is at. Anyone have a tach, and have a video on youtube that I can listen to get a general idea of where I need to be at. I think it may be set to low. which could be causing my "starting issue"

·
Registered
578 Posts
The automatic choke activates only when necessary, mine has been known to do that even after riding for a while.
Something to try, I start up this way most of the time now, read this on one of the forums.
When you turn on the key, don't wait for the lights to go out, as soon as the first light turns off hit the button.
Mine fires up much faster this way

·
Registered
698 Posts
Yeah, I dunno. I guess I'm gonna play with the idle a little bit and see how it goes. I'd be really nice to have a tach so I know what RPM the Idle is at. Anyone have a tach, and have a video on youtube that I can listen to get a general idea of where I need to be at. I think it may be set to low. which could be causing my "starting issue"
This is not mine & it's hard to see but.............

BTW - your vid looks pretty normal.

·
Registered
64 Posts
me too

My 2011 900 Classic SE does the same type of start up routine regarding high idle when "cold". It then slows to a normal idle after warm up without fail. If this issue still continues to not function correctly, perhaps a visit to a dealer mech. will help verify your situation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Clayton89,
Sorry for delayed response. I had the same starting issue you describe. I noticed it more as time went on. I have a tach so I know my idle is correctly set @ 1000 rpm. I changed spark plugs and did a few other things to solve the problem, but nothing changed. After reading your post, it had me thinking. When I first got my bike, it did not do the slow almost want to die idle (I also did not wait for the fuel pump to stop priming either). I have gone back to starting my bike as soon as I can after turning the ignition key. Problem solved! No more 1-2 seconds of slow want to die idle before high idle kick in. I am now wondering if waiting for fuel pump to stop priming before starting is not creating some kind of flooded situation? Regardless the reason, starting the bike before fuel pump is done priming is working for me.
I noticed someone else posted the same solution, so its working for at least two of us...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts