Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can no longer start my bike in first with the clutch in.
Consulted the bible and as per recommendation, purchased and installed a new starter lockout switch. No joy.
The sidestand switch works fine as per the bible.The relays are all good.On another forum, someone suggested that a quick disconnect under tha tank may have come loose when I installed my risers. Checked...all good.
Surely it can't be the ECU.
Any suggestions.......

·
Registered
450 Posts
Kill switch? It's been known to happen to the best of us...

·
Registered
702 Posts
If that is the same as the "clutch safety switch", then there must be a problem with the wiring to it....or (rare) with the relay logic that it feeds.

I think the clutch switch is the ONLY requirement for the starter running when in gear, except for the kill switch and ignition switch or course.

A wiring diagram and a meter probably would help a LOT.

A bad kickstand switch can cause it also.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
I don't think the starter lockout circuit cares whether the stand is up or down if the clutch is pulled in. Otherwise re-starting from a stall would be pretty tricky. ;)
Not tricky at all if the kickstand is UP.............kickstand down and in gear kills engine AND starter....

·
1,172 Posts
or it might just APPEAR that the stand is down when it isn't. ;)
BINGO!!!!! a bad kickstand switch will do that !

·
Registered
702 Posts
Thank you big worm...

I had the same issues as the OP. I talked to the dealer mechanic and the first thing he said to check was kickstand switch, then clutch switch. They both seemed ok, then I traced the wire from the clutch switch all the way up under the gas tank with my stubby fingers and found that the wire had come unplugged. This had happened when I installed risers and put a little too much tension on the cables when turning. Had to loosen tank to replug, kind of a PITA...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reponses BUT as my original post stated, all the things you suggest have been eliminated already.
AND no, I have been riding long enough for the kill switch to be on. Besides, that was also checked with a multimeter.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bike starts normally as per the three ways to start (as per elec section of bible).
But from a stall scenario with the bike in first gear, clutch in, sidestand up,kill switch on, it NO LONGER starts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No crank.
One of the micros is not playing the game.
OR, as the bible says.....it's the ECU.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
So I have this straight, you are driving along, you stall the engine, pull in the clutch and the engine will not crank, correct?
If you put it in neutral, it will then crank and start?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sfair,
look, you're not getting it. i have explained it enough already. Thanks.

·
1,172 Posts
looks like the poster does not want any further help in this matter....... but i whish him the best of luck sorting it all out....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bigworm,
you r totally wrong. Help is what I requested.Help is what I need.
Answering the same question over and over is not what I want or need.
Eliminating possibilities by responses of those that have had ther same issue not by someone asking the same question in different forms.
The reposnses that I have had privately ARE helping me in eliminating possibilities of the fault.
Please do not speak for me and assume that I do not want any further assistance.

·
Administrator
11,999 Posts
Sfair has a huge and proven track record here of generously helping the membership, search out his past threads for yourself. He has to know exactly what the symptoms are before helping and once he does, the help flows.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts