Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wifes bike is a 10 vulcan 900 classic. Son road bike to rally and back .It died in driveway.The problem is it wont crank& no head light.I looked at fuses on left side of bike&replaced battery.No results.
Is there another fuse I am missing?:(

·
Registered
39 Posts
Their is another fuse on the starter relay I think it's 30a which is on the right side under the other panel but I'm not sure if that will stop the lights working as well mine has a spare their too so it's worth having a look

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
First thing that comes to mind are some of the switches.
Kill switch. Snap it back and forth a couple time. On older bikes I've had trouble with that. Flipping it back and forth cleans the contacts a bit and sometimes helps.

Kickstand switch. If the stand or the switch is loose it may not be making contact when the stand is up. Did you try starting it neutral?

Then there's the neutral safety switch, but I believe that's inside the tranny. I don't have the shop manual handy.

The connections to the switches could be loose or dirty, you'll want check those.

·
Registered
91 Posts
1st you let your son ride it. :skywalker:

LOL
Sounds like the ignition switch.
Use a volt meter and start checking. start with the battery and work your way to the switch.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
What switch kicks the headlight on. I thought the light did not come on until you hit the starter??? That is how it was on my Mean Streak, 1500 Classic, and V2K. I would assume it is the same on the 9's. First thing I would check is all the fuses and safety switches. Assuming your battery is good since you said you put on in it.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Follow positive battery cable back to its destination and there you will find the main fuse on top of the starter solenoid.
This fuse will kill the bike dead if it is blown.
If it is blown, you replace it and it blows again, STOP there.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you for some suggestions

thanks to all on some other possibilites. I will let you know what I find out:good:

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
On the Vulcan 900, the headlight does not come on until the starter button is 'successfully' pressed. That is, if anything impedes the starter button (like the kickstand switch) the headlight will not come on. When you turn the key, the running lights come on, but the headlight does not. If you just gently tap the starter button (again, with all switches in a position that would allow the bike to start!) the bike won't crank long enough to start, but now the headlight will be on. Basically; the starter switch turns on the headlight.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Basically; the starter switch turns on the headlight.
Sorry, but not correct. The starter switch prevents the headlight relay from pulling and also removes the hold from same relay if it is pushed.
You can prove this by starting the bike, headlight comes on, then put in gear, hold on brakes, let clutch out so as to stall the engine. Headlight stays on, but touch the starter button to restart, headlight goes out whilst starter button is pushed. This whole set up is a safety feature so that if engine quits on a lonely country road at night, headlight does not go out and one hits the ditch. But on a restart, headlight will go out to reduce electrical load.

What you may experience when tapping the starter switch, engine does not start, but headlight comes on is:

1. Engine has enough momentum from the starter tap to energize the headlight relay from stator on engine coast down, or
2. Tapping the switch may be causing noise to the headlight relay which is giving it a false trigger.

Both of the above are anomalies and are not to be considered as how the circuit is designed to operate.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
As an add, it would make no sense to turn on the headlight during starter crank as this would put an extra burden on the battery for sure!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
You're right, I think I explained it poorly. But I was compounding on what you said earlier about the headlight shutting off when it starts (like most vehicles) in that, UNLIKE some other bikes, the VN900's headlights is OFF when the key is turned on. The headlight stays off until the starter button is pressed (while all other conditions are met. For example, I don't believe the headlight will come on if the kickstand is down while the bike is in gear)

That was basically what I was trying to relay to the OP. The headlight not coming on when the key is turned on is normal behavior for the VN900. It could still be a switch issue somewhere, causing the circuit not to be completed.

Sfair you are the electrical guru/genius around here so I definitely wasn't trying to correct anything you said. If you told me my blue bike was red I'd probably believe you. I was just trying to compound onto what you said by mentioning that little 'feature' of the VN900.

So I guess it would be more accurate to say, the headlight comes on AFTER the starter is pressed, not WHEN. But also, not BEFORE, which was the key part there. He mentioned the headlight not turning on as a symptom, but it may in fact not be an issue at all if his issue is something not allowing the starter circuit to complete (or whatever else entails)

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Thanks for the explanation of how it works. I knew what the headlight did but not HOW it done it. I will have to mark this in my book of thing I have kerned from sfair. The list is getting longer.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Nice info Sfair, now the question is did his running lights come on ?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Thanks for the explanation of how it works. I knew what the headlight did but not HOW it done it. I will have to mark this in my book of thing I have kerned from sfair. The list is getting longer.
+1

He's a nice guy to have around. For us dumb folk who try and figure it out as we go along!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
update on bike issues

Well tried the 30 amp fuse and found it to be fine. will be taking shut down switch lose next to see if it is bad or just dirty:cool:

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
I recommend that you troubleshoot the fault instead of ripping into things as the hazard in doing that is a second problem could be introduced and then some serious tail chasing begins.

1. Do the running lights come on with key on?
2. Do you have a meter and know how to use it? If not, fear not, we can help there too.

Post back.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
issue reply

the running lights do come on when you turn on ignition. yes i have a volt meter:D

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
OK, just to verify the problem - key on, running lights come on, push start button, nothing happens.

Could you post back with make and model number of your meter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts