Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1994 Vulcan 750 bought from a second owner with no mtc. or mechanic records supposedly no problems with it ever.....

Problem with it starting it just wouldn't start I would turn on key head light would not come on until I pressed the starter button. Pulled choke full but it just wouldn't come on. Then it starting showing signs of my battery being drawn eventually died. No charger so i decided to buy new battery and charger after fully charging i put it back and now i only get a clicking. Twice it sounded like it was almost going to turn over but never did. so after about an hour of this i decided to buy a solenoid for it still same result but now the wire harness started to get warm. since i thought i put it on wrong i put the original back and the same result just clicking. Then i put my hand on the wires harness and i notice a wire that was smoking so i stop trying to crank it. let it cool down and tried again same result so i disconnected the wire plug that was smoking and have not tried anything any more. Just been trying to research on the possibilities??/

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi zuritap and welcome. Some folks will be along soon to help you with this, but I can tell you that you will need to get yourself a test meter. I have a 91 Vulcan 500 and the headlight does not come on until the bike starts up, this is normal, and I think the 750 may be the same.

You seem to have fallen into the classic trap of adhoc replacements, but don't worry. Hang fire, don't buy anything else at this stage, apart from a meter if you haven't got one. Follow the instructions you are going to get and things will work out. Good luck.

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
1. How many miles on the bike?
2. How long have you owned?
3. How long did it sit before you got it?

Post back.

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
Just so I am clear, it had sat for 1 week before you bought it, was running fine, sat for four months and now will not start?

Just want to be sure we are on the same page.

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
Sorry about being so picky, but history is important.

What color(s) was the wire that smoked?
Where was it exactly?

·
Registered
213 Posts
As stated, Headlight is functions as per normal design.

sfair is right, more detailed info is needed if you are still having this issue.

When you say the solenoid is clicking, is the starter spinning up at all?
From my experience, the clicking solenoid is usually a sign of a dead or defective battery. Also, the fact that its clicking would indicate to me that it is probably working and hooked up OK.

One test you can try is using a large screwdriver to jump the larger terminals on the solenoid. You should get a large spark followed by the starter spinning.
No starter spinning at this point would point to a few possibilities:
1. The battery being dead or bad (yes, a new battery can be bad)
2. You have a loose connection somewhere. Make sure the following cables are tightly connected and clean of corrosion:
a: battery terminals. be sure to check the ground cable at the frame side as well.
b: engine ground cable (located at the right rear of the engine behind the coolant tank
c: positive power cable running from the solenoid to the front of the starter.

The wires heating up has me thinking that the most likely scenario is that you have a loose or dirty ground connection somewhere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts