Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 VN800b. my starter solenoid sometimes makes a buzzing like it is not holding contact. Obviously when this happens, it will not crank. But I can hit the starter button again and it doesn't do it.

Does this mean my solenoid is going out? I have already replaced the battery with an AGM type. I have cleaned all the connections and cut out and hardwired the melted white 3-wire connector from the stator.

·
Registered
707 Posts
A solenoid will either work or it wont.
Yes it could mean its breaking down, but since it doesnt do it every time dont be to concerned.
For your sanity you could replace it, but if they are a bit pricey and the next one does the same thing.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
could it be the relay in the distribution box getting weak?

If I'm correct, when you push the start button the power comes from the distribution box to close the solenoid so the starter engages?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Again a solenoid works or doesn't, and they CAN make noise but that doesn't mean its going bad.
Have you checked the battery voltage when you hit the start button?
It should not fall to far from battery voltage level BEFORE the start button was pushed.
Meaning, and these numbers are just an example, if battery is at 13 volts, when you hit start it should not drop to under 11 volts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts