Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm having problems with the starter relay. I was having trouble starting it a couple of times, so I had the battery check and it's good. Checked for any loose connections. When I go to start the relay just goes BRRRRRRRAT and then it struggles to start. anybody else run in to the same thing on your 900 or this something else?
White Light Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas

· Super Moderator
6,281 Posts
Seems like a connection somewhere in the starter circuit is starting to not get contact. Would start with some basics. Spray the starter and kill switches with contact cleaner and check the negative battery connection at the frame. If no go, would get the manual and start checking the connections in the circuit. Good luck.

· Registered
274 Posts
I seem to remember some sort of problem straight from the dealer with the first used VN900 Classic I bought around 2012. I can't remember the exact details but the problem was with the relay itself which was replaced and solved the problem.

2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks,
Will start troubleshooting. A new relay is $170 bucks.

· Registered
2019 VN900 Custom
180 Posts
That doesn't sound right ,I thought relays were a fairly cheap item.
That would be true for an ordinary relay. The starter relay connects the battery directly to the starter motor (no fuse). It is a big, beefy relay that has to be able to withstand conducting about 200 cold cranking amps.

A new starter relay, or "magnetic switch" as they call it, can be had for $118.23 at partzilla.com

2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That would be true for an ordinary relay. The starter relay connects the battery directly to the starter motor (no fuse). It is a big, beefy relay that has to be able to withstand conducting about 200 cold cranking amps.

A new starter relay, or "magnetic switch" as they call it, can be had for $118.23 at partzilla.com
Thanks that beats 170 bucks.

· Registered
5 Posts
I had the same problem. It ended up being the battery. When I took it for testing all they did was check the voltage and did not do a load test. Measure the voltage while you are trying to start the bike. It should stay above 10 to 11 volts. If it goes down to 8 then your battery could be bad.

2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had the battery checked and it was good.

2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Starter relay. You would think it would be inexpensive but the cheapest one I found for one brand new is 130 US dollars.

2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
27002-0007 is the part number.

· Registered
4,011 Posts
I am confused by the terminology in relation to this item - there is starter solenoid relay and starter magnetic switch ?!
But either way the price seems to be less than £20 !

starter magnetic switch genuine kawasaki part no 27010 ,Fowlers Parts UK price £106.
various on ebay (most likely from China originally ) eg £9.75p from California !
The first post of the OP shows the relay module/box that contains what I would call the intermediate starter relay (aka starter solenoid relay).

The start push button and circuits through the start lockouts/interlocks trigger the intermediate starter relay, which in turn triggers the high current relay (starter magnetic switch), causing the starter to engage.

· Registered
23 Posts
As you said there is a problem with the starter relay but your battery is working fine so check your connection to the starter circuit is it working or not? Then check the kill switch and reconnect the connection. Mostly it happens to the battery problem but if your battery is working then check the whole connection again.

2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, this was weird. It wasn't the starter relay it was the battery after all. I had the battery checked and it showed over 12 volts. Whan a load was put on it appeared fine. But the battery was not holding enough of a charge for more than one start. So, since I was at the dealer anyways, I got a new battery and now it starts up just fine. Thanks for all the advice guys. This is a great place to throw around ideas.

2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yea, but it actually showed good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts