Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have been having a strange issue with my 900 lately. I have seen one other thread describing a similar issue to mine but that is a fairly old thread and it didnt really come to a close.

My issue is this- The bike starts and runs fine up until I reach around 70mph. At those higher speeds it becomes clear that there is something wrong with the bike and you can hear the starter motor running. This symptom also seems to cause the relay box to die because the headlight goes off. Replacing the relay box will fix the headlight but not the starter motor issue. (ive done that twice now) I have also replaced the starter syloniod twice.

Im really out of ideas on what could be going on. My thoughts are that current is "leaking" onto the starting circuit some how which causes the starter motor to run all the time. But im not sure if that is even possible.

My latest idea was to just put a switch on the starter motor possitive wire to make sure that no voltage could get to it and drive the motor. Its not a fix but a solution that i think might make it so i could at least ride.

Anyway please help if you have ever seen this issue or have any ideas.

Thanks,

Jenjonn

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Do you have a meter and know how to use it?

If so, post back with make and model number of meter.

If not, we can help there too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have a meter. I cant tell you the make and model number of it right now but I know how to use it and it will work for measuring AC/DC volts.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
If you can post back with meter info, that would be good. When operating from thousands of miles away, it helps to know what test equipment is being used on my end to help in avoiding confusion.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Good. A few questions:

1. Are there any modifications/add-ons to the electrical system eg. Light bar, etc?
2. Have you ever replaced the stator and/or regulator rectifier? If so, when and why?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good. A few questions:

1. Are there any modifications/add-ons to the electrical system eg. Light bar, etc?
2. Have you ever replaced the stator and/or regulator rectifier? If so, when and why?
1. No modifications/add ons

2. Yes ive replaced the stator and regulator rectifier. Id say about 2 years ago. It stopped charging the battery is why. One of the legs was burned out.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
1. OEM or aftermarket replacement parts?
2. How long did the headlight/starter issue show up after the stator replacement?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The bike quit me on the freeway. I noticed that very first. But after getting the battery charged up i tested the stator using my manual and it checked out and tested that i was getting charging voltage at the battery and that was good. So after that i started the bike an noticed the headlight wasnt on. So i asked the guy at the shop and he said the relay box was burned out. so i changed that.
The next time out i heard the starter motor while i was driving down the road. I stoped and the motor was still going!? And the head light was dead. So i changed the starter relay and the relay box again. And it happened again...

Thanks SFAIR for helping me out. I am really glad for any ideas i can get.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
1. Right now, headlight is working and as long as you are at city speeds, starter is not running, correct?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How long after the second relay box change did the starter start to stay engaged?
I think it was the starter sticking that burned up the first relay box. But it was sticking still right after I changed it. The bike is a 2008 btw. It had 17k on it when the stator failed.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Could you do the following:

1. Take voltage reading across battery.
2. Turn on key and take another reading.
3. Leave key on for a full 5 minutes, and with key still on, take another reading.
4. Start engine and at normal idle, take another reading.
5. Rev engine up to what it would normally turn at 30mph in the gear you use and take another reading.
6. Repeat step 5, except at 70mph.

Post back with all readings.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Not to step on Sfairs toes but I read about an issue similar and it ended up being the start solenoid had a broken spring and kept the starter engaged. I assume that is the "relay box" you say you replaced.

I have also heard of starter buttons getting stuck and/or wires going to the starter button rubbing bare and touching. Just somethings to look for but you are in very good hands with Sfair

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Not to step on Sfairs toes but I read about an issue similar and it ended up being the start solenoid had a broken spring and kept the starter engaged. I assume that is the "relay box" you say you replaced.

I have also heard of starter buttons getting stuck and/or wires going to the starter button rubbing bare and touching. Just somethings to look for but you are in very good hands with Sfair
Both good points, but have not gone there (yet) as the symptoms that the poster has described do not fit with the typical type of failure that the solenoid or bare wire would present.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts