Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble with the starter on my bike. It only seems to do it when the bike has been sitting for a few hours or more. When I turn the key to the on position, I can hear a whirring sound, which I assume is the fuel pump priming, but when I hit the starter button, I just get a very similar whirring noise and nothing else. Sometime a few presses of the button with get it to actually turn the motor over, and sometimes I have to rock the bike with it in gear to get anything to engage. It get's harder ever day though to get the starter to engage. Anyone know what can be the cause of this?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm having trouble with the starter on my bike. It only seems to do it when the bike has been sitting for a few hours or more. When I turn the key to the on position, I can hear a whirring sound, which I assume is the fuel pump priming, but when I hit the starter button, I just get a very similar whirring noise and nothing else. Sometime a few presses of the button with get it to actually turn the motor over, and sometimes I have to rock the bike with it in gear to get anything to engage. It get's harder ever day though to get the starter to engage. Anyone know what can be the cause of this?
First check all the connections make sure they're clean and tight. Second make sure your battery is fully charged.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No grinding noises at all. I checked all the connections and didn't find any problems. I did notice with the seat off though, I could hear the solenoid activate, but I couldn't hear it when it didn't try to crank. I'm not sure if the battery doesn't have enough juice to activate it, or if the solenoid is going bad. They were pretty cheap, so I ordered both and am going to try replacing the battery first and see if that helps. If not, I'll replace the starter solenoid. The battery was showing 11.88 Volts it would jump to 14 while running, but would stay above 11.88 when it wasn't.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts