Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Then I ran into an over tightened K and N filter! see pic on what i have tried so far to get the filter off the bike. that includes a 5/8, 9/16,17mm,15 mm,11/16,16 mm, have i missed anything? WTF? its as if this is a size of its own? cannot get my normal oil wrench on due to that stupid bolt. any suggestions? I have been at this for over hour!

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Try a bigger pair of channel-locks (You may have to crush the filter a bit). Knipex slip joint pliers works very well. next would be pounding a screw driver through the side of the filter (All the way through). And try turning it off that way.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Firm believer, it's all about using the right tools! Nice work.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, this is what my nephew said to do with the screwdriver, forgot that one but little nervous could mess up some threads. Prob not but i am a worry wart!

Try a bigger pair of channel-locks (You may have to crush the filter a bit). Knipex slip joint pliers works very well. next would be pounding a screw driver through the side of the filter (All the way through). And try turning it off that way.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
643 Posts
Always apply a little bit of oil to the gasket on the new filter and wipe the seating area clean. This helps in a few ways, helps prevent the gaskets from sticking when installing the filter which can result in the filter no being on as tight as it should be resulting in a leak and also helps prevent the filter gasket binding to the seating surface making it difficult to remove at next oil change.

Also a good idea to fill the new filter with clean oil as you are about to install it. This helps to reduce the period of low oil pressure after an oil change when the oil needs to be pumped into the empty new oil filter.

WB

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Always apply a little bit of oil to the gasket on the new filter and wipe the seating area clean. This helps in a few ways, helps prevent the gaskets from sticking when installing the filter which can result in the filter no being on as tight as it should be resulting in a leak and also helps prevent the filter gasket binding to the seating surface making it difficult to remove at next oil change.

Also a good idea to fill the new filter with clean oil as you are about to install it. This helps to reduce the period of low oil pressure after an oil change when the oil needs to be pumped into the empty new oil filter.

WB
I always do the first never the second, will do that next , the oil filter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts