Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having an issue lately. I'll get on my bike, key on, kill switch on, kickstand up, and when I hit the ignition, it will click. If I hold it down for a little while, it'll crank and start right up. If I click it repeatedly, it'll wind up starting. But it doesn't work straight away when I hit ignition.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Could be lots of things. Bad battery, loose or corroded ground, failing solenoid. I'd trouble shoot one thing at a time, though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kill switch on,

Any ideas?
???????????
As in the kill switch is set in a position for it to start.

I've searched the forums a bit but haven't come across this exact issue. Usually people say their bikes won't start at all. Won't be working on it until Saturday, just want to gather enough info to go into it with a plan!

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
In other words, kill switch is off.
Do you have a meter and know how to use it?
No meter, we can help there too.

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
If you decide to give this a try, go to one of the many places that sell digital meters, Home Depot, among others.
$20 dollars should buy you everything you need in a meter.
If you are in doubt, post the make and model of your potential purchase and we can advise.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I haven't had this problem on my Vulcan, but my '92 Virago 1100 did this... A LOT. It was ALWAYS fixed by replacing the battery. The charging system is so weak on that bike that a battery would only last about a season! Its symptoms were exactly as you described only it would do it just every once in a while at first, but more and more frequently the weaker the battery got. *Side note* I found a US made rectifier for it (because that died on me twice) for less than the o.e. rectifier and bought a Yuasa high performance battery and hadn't had the issue since! (about two seasons now)

I'm hoping the charging system on these Vulcans are stronger than those Yamaha Viragos!

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
Had an XV1100 for years with no charging system issues. You must have had a problem that was not resolved.
Do not go and buy a battery without a little troubleshooting first.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Had an XV1100 for years with no charging system issues. You must have had a problem that was not resolved.
Do not go and buy a battery without a little troubleshooting first.
Yeah. It was the $300 o.e. rectifier that were all crap. Either you lucked out and got a good one.... or it had the US made aftermarket one on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have this problem sometimes to and I found that it’s my clutch lever. Sometimes when I first start the bike the clutch lever is a little loose and the bike will just sit there and click when I push the clutch lever back to its proper sitting position the bike will fire up no problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just went through this with my 2001 Nomad 1500. Check out my post to see everything I checked before finding it was the clutch switch. Just search for dokrok5150. I even have pictures! Easy fix but it was a pain to track down.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just went through this with my 2001 Nomad 1500. Check out my post to see everything I checked before finding it was the clutch switch. Just search for dokrok5150. I even have pictures! Easy fix but it was a pain to track down.
Could this be the problem even if I only ever start it in neutral?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yep. I thought why would the clutch switch have anything to do with it if the bike is in neutral.

Can't tell you why it does but - it does. After all the hours I spent tracking this down my advice to you is check your fuses then take that switch apart and clean it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts