Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a spammer in one of the forums that isn't being taken care of, and I went to rate the latest spammed thread as terrible.

Trying to rate a thread as good or bad only assigns it one through five stars.

What does that do? It puts a gold star in the line of the listed thread in the forum as if there was something special about that thread - which completely counters forum members' attempts to warn other forum members to avoid the post.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
But I thought you meant that if you click on the 1 Star it shows up at 5 Stars? My 1 Star click just displays 1 Star
No, that's not what I meant. Maybe I wrote it poorly?

Here in the USA, a "Gold Star" is known as a reward from back in the days when, in grade school, the teacher would place a gold star on tests or assignments that were done to nearly a 100% achievement level.

What I'm saying is - the use of even only a single gold star to imply something is not worth reading makes no sense.

oops, says cannot vote again, no repeat votes allowed, my 1 star vote is fixed now
And I'm fine with that, 'cause even one Gold Star means Awesomeness to everyone in the world except to, apparently, the Vulcan Forum page designer, lol.

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
I remember those star sticker ratings the teacher put beside student names, I always thought it was unfair because all the most popular students got most of the stars, I was like, I hate this star system, cause all the other kids can now see how unpopular I am, its like giving the other kids reason to point the finger at me and snicker

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I remember those star sticker ratings the teacher put beside student names, I always thought it was unfair because all the most popular students got most of the stars, I was like, I hate this star system, cause all the other kids can now see how unpopular I am, its like giving the other kids reason to point the finger at me and snicker
That's crazy.

In the schools I've attended it was based on getting an A or A+ on a quiz or something like that.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
If you spotted a spammer, you should use the "Report Post" button so the mods are alerted immediately and can remove same. The report post button is the red triangle a bit under your user name.

We have a spammer in one of the forums that isn't being taken care of, and I went to rate the latest spammed thread as terrible.

Trying to rate a thread as good or bad only assigns it one through five stars.

What does that do? It puts a gold star in the line of the listed thread in the forum as if there was something special about that thread - which completely counters forum members' attempts to warn other forum members to avoid the post.

·
V2K Rogue Wrangler
1,112 Posts
My opinion on this subject:

1. Most threads are unrated.
2. There is a rating system that provides 1 thru 5 stars to let members input a positive rating to reflect how much they like the thread.
3. There is no way to input a negative rating.
4. The positive rating system has seen some use and lets readers know which threads are very popular.
5. There is no way to give a thread a negative rating to let readers know which threads are unpopular.

Is there a need for a negative rating system?
Is there a need for a positive rating system?
Gold stars are used for positive ratings, how about red X's for negative ratings?
Does anybody else even care about this topic?

As it stands, a thread with one star appears to be more popular than a thread with no stars. In fact, this may be completely false since most threads are not rated and many members may not even be familiar with the rating system and how to use it.

It seems to me that unrated threads are neutral. Therefore, if there is a positive rating system to mark the more popular threads, then there should also be a negative rating system to mark those threads that are unpopular.

To take this even further, individual posts could be rated. That would allow everyone to flag this particular post as something they agree or disagree with.

I guess I'm saying that if you are going to have a positive rating system, then you should also have a negative rating system. Or, no rating system at all.

Again, just my opinion.

·
Registered
382 Posts
seems to me a 'helpful' or 'not helpful' would work. 0 would be 'average' and a negative rating would be up for review to be deleted, a positive review may become a sticky or a 'featured thread'.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Never even knew what the stars were about , now that I do I'll still read what interests me and skip over what doesn't. I think it would be hard to really have a useful rating system , what one member finds good or important may not apply or interest the next.
A gun forum I visit has a button to like a post or thread and lists who likes it that particular post.
I think Mambo was looking for a way to indicate spammers or trolls.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts