Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kind of stand are you using to lift back wheel. service manual recommends lubing chain every 400 miles and i will eventually change the sprocket and chain so im looking to buy a stand.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I made these to steady and lift the bike.

The one on the right will fit either wheel to hold the bike upright while the other wheel is lifted. The wooden inserts come out to fit the rear wheel..

The lifting frame has two attachments, one with tapered pins to lift the front, and the other U shaped to fit lifting spools in the rear...

Works like a charm...

Attachments

·
Registered
713 Posts
I used the same as Steve for a while to just lube the chain after washing.
Worked okay but a bit tough to rotate the wheel under the bikes weight.

I decided to get one of these and a front wheel chock bolted to the floor of my garage.
Made life so much easier as the bike stays upright so you can get the stand in from the back.

Don't forget to check the chain tension while you're back there. Mine stretched considerably which can lead to early sprocket/chain wear. The rear axle nut was a PIA to get off but once loose the adjustment was easy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought the Pitbull SS Rear stand and some spools for the bike. However, the stand wouldn't fit. The spools sit pretty far forward, and the stand was hitting the fender/plate before they would reach far enough.

I called Pitbull to ask what they said, but they never tested any of their stands on this bike yet. They said the "Busa" should work as it was designed for larger bikes without a fender eliminator. I never tried it yet, but likely will.

I want it to do basic chain maintenance, and to get it off the cement for winter storage.

Anyone else have any stands they used and fit?

·
Registered
713 Posts
..the stand was hitting the fender/plate before they would reach far enough....
I had the same problem initially but the stand I bought was 3 piece screwed together. I re-drilled new holes and was able to extend it far enough to clear the licence plate.

It's not as strong as the original design because I'm now down to 2 screws per side but I plan on getting a fender eliminator kit which should create some room so I can change the stand back.

·
Registered
68 Posts
should we use 8mm or 10mm spools?
I read that the 2015 Versys has 8mm threads, unlike prior years, but can't find reliable information on the Vulcan S

·
Registered
68 Posts
I used the same as Steve for a while to just lube the chain after washing.
Worked okay but a bit tough to rotate the wheel under the bikes weight.

I decided to get one of these and a front wheel chock bolted to the floor of my garage.
Made life so much easier as the bike stays upright so you can get the stand in from the back.

Don't forget to check the chain tension while you're back there. Mine stretched considerably which can lead to early sprocket/chain wear. The rear axle nut was a PIA to get off but once loose the adjustment was easy.
wow, so I just checked my chain slack, and I measured it to be about 1.7 in; book recommends 0.4-0.8 in...
I know what I'll be doing this weekend...

book says to replace cotter pin after adjusting tension, are there different types of pins out there, where do I find the specs for this?

·
Registered
713 Posts
you wont need to replace it unless you break both legs off. worse case, a wire coat hanger is an excellent substitute until you replace it.
so long as you torque the nut correctly your fine. the pin or wire is just in case you dont.

·
Registered
18 Posts
you wont need to replace it unless you break both legs off. worse case, a wire coat hanger is an excellent substitute until you replace it.
so long as you torque the nut correctly your fine. the pin or wire is just in case you dont.
I dont know if its the maintainer in me, but i would disagree here. You should always replace a cotter pin after removing it. It will lose its structural integrity after it is bent back straight and removed.

·
Registered
68 Posts
quick update, I cleaned, lubricated and adjusted the chain today, I ended up replacing the cotter pin (got them from autozone)

back to the stand question:
- I first tried that http://www.cyclegear.com/TRACKSIDE-Rear-Paddock-Stand $59 at Cyclegear. Didn't work at all, fender was in the way of the handle. Also, the stand felt like a piece of garbage, I am returning it
- Then I tried this http://www.harborfreight.com/low-profile-rear-motorcycle-spool-stand-99701.html I somewhat made it work, but had to remove the license plate, and with the spools I installed the required width between the arms would be 14.25", but the max width on this stand is 14". So I didn't like the setup at all, I won't be using it again as this is an accident waiting to happen. Too bad, as I liked the sturdiness of this stand, considering the very low price ($32)
- As much as I hate the idea to spend that much money on such a simple tool, I ended up ordering this http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/pit-bull-spooled-forward-handle-rear-stand
I will report back when I receive it, but after much research, I could not find another stand that I was confident would not interfere with the fender.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I dont know if its the maintainer in me, but i would disagree here. You should always replace a cotter pin after removing it. It will lose its structural integrity after it is bent back straight and removed.
Go for it.
The bent section doesn't even lock the nut. It's just to stop the pin falling out, and then the rubber cap goes over everything aswell.

End of the day it's each to their own........

·
Registered
27 Posts
1) Everything I've ever been taught as a backyard mechanic AND back when I was a professional is to ALWAYS replace cotter pins and NEVER reinstall new ones. I agree it seems silly sometimes, however it is a silly cheap thing - and why risk it?

2) I didn't even think about clearances on these stands! I now wonder if the one I've been looking at is going to work... I guess I'll have to measure it.. I like that this one is sold in a set (see attached pic)

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
quick update, I cleaned, lubricated and adjusted the chain today, I ended up replacing the cotter pin (got them from autozone)

back to the stand question:
- I first tried that http://www.cyclegear.com/TRACKSIDE-Rear-Paddock-Stand $59 at Cyclegear. Didn't work at all, fender was in the way of the handle. Also, the stand felt like a piece of garbage, I am returning it
- Then I tried this http://www.harborfreight.com/low-profile-rear-motorcycle-spool-stand-99701.html I somewhat made it work, but had to remove the license plate, and with the spools I installed the required width between the arms would be 14.25", but the max width on this stand is 14". So I didn't like the setup at all, I won't be using it again as this is an accident waiting to happen. Too bad, as I liked the sturdiness of this stand, considering the very low price ($32)
- As much as I hate the idea to spend that much money on such a simple tool, I ended up ordering this http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/pit-bull-spooled-forward-handle-rear-stand
I will report back when I receive it, but after much research, I could not find another stand that I was confident would not interfere with the fender.
with the stand from Harbor Frieght can you not just hold the bike up while spinning the back tire, just for oiling the chain?

·
Registered
68 Posts
with the stand from Harbor Frieght can you not just hold the bike up while spinning the back tire, just for oiling the chain?
sorry, I don't understand the question.
the problem I had with the harbor freight stand is when trying to set it up on the bike, the fender gets in the way, and also it isn't wide enough for the spools to sit on the stand the correct way; so I am just afraid that one of these days I am going to drop the bike when trying to set the stand.
once the bike was on the stand, I had no problem turning the wheel and lubricate the chain.

·
Registered
37 Posts

Have you tried out the Pitbull stand yet? I am holding off getting one as the one I tried earlier didn't fit. This one seems like it may, but interested in your feedback before I order it. Seems promising.

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
I haven't bought a stand yet - I want to see what works and get some measurements back from some of the ones I've been seeing online. However, I ordered these spools, so I'm ready! See pics (pay no mind to the grime - I have been working all week and no time to wash):

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all. I finally found a stand that will work with the spools. I received it this past weekend and got the bike up on it with no clearance issues at all. It's the Oxford Big Black Bike Stand purchased with the $20 spool stand attachment. I purchased it from Revzilla cause I've always done business with them. My front stand is a Viper which I used for my previous bike. Just thought I'd put that info out there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts