Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I need to be able to stored a vn900 in my garage but keep it vertical to reduce the space it takes.

Can the vn900 take a centre stand or are there other options?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
The most efficient option I've seen is a stand made of 2x8s. Haven't done it myself yet, but it's on the list.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have seen a frame mounted center stand on an HD bike that would probably fit any of the Vulcan front frames.
I don't have the manufacturer name or anything but if it will bolt on to an HD, we can make it fit a Vulcan:nerd: I have a V2K and am looking for one for it as well.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Quick and dirty Google shows the "EZ-UP Center Stand" from Wheelchock.
They say that it will install in 5 minutes with a 3/4 wrench on an Electra Glide..
Should be able to MacGyver something together once I see one in real life... lol

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
I park Buffy in my Man Cave. Generally it's not a big deal. But when I need to move her around due to space and floor configuration it can be a pain trying to maneuver the bike so as to get her out of the way. (I would never say that in her presence)

I store her on a wheeled MC Jack. I can easily wheel the bike around. I can even push her into a corner or up against a wall with little effort. The bonus is that I can do all of my maintenance, cleaning and upgrades in a very comfortable position.

If you park your bike in and out on a daily basis this may not be the solution you're looking for. But it works great for my space issue so I thought I'd toss the idea on the pile.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I park Buffy in my Man Cave. Generally it's not a big deal. But when I need to move her around due to space and floor configuration it can be a pain trying to maneuver the bike so as to get her out of the way. (I would never say that in her presence)

I store her on a wheeled MC Jack. I can easily wheel the bike around. I can even push her into a corner or up against a wall with little effort. The bonus is that I can do all of my maintenance, cleaning and upgrades in a very comfortable position.

If you park your bike in and out on a daily basis this may not be the solution you're looking for. But it works great for my space issue so I thought I'd toss the idea on the pile.
Cool name for the bike :)

Did not know you could jack a VN900 (cant jack my Vulcan S). I was thinking of a dolly, as that will let me move the bike as close to the wall as I can get it. The 900 will be an occasional / weekend use bike so don't mind storing it a little out the way,

·
862 Posts
This is the Jack I use for your info.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OCHCIW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

I made a slight and extremely easy modification to the Jack so it's a perfect fit and balance for the 900. If you go this route PM me and I'll be happy to share some pics to put you on track.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is the Jack I use for your info.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OCHCIW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I made a slight and extremely easy modification to the Jack so it's a perfect fit and balance for the 900. If you go this route PM me and I'll be happy to share some pics to put you on track.

Thanks. I’m a little worried about the stability of this. However now I know a jack can be used I’m going to be ordering one soon. So much easier than a paddock stand.

·
Registered
168 Posts
https://scissorliftoutlet.com/scissor-lift-for-sale/flexzion-motorcycle-jack-lift-1100-lb-mini-scissor-center-hoist-floor-repair-stand-with-two-screw-adapters-removable-crank-handle-for-touring-auto-atv-dirt-bike-scooter/

I use something similar. Good for stabilizing for storage. The t handle socket works, but I keep a rechargeable impact and socket handy to make short work of it. The 2x6 is cheap and simple but I have to occasionally squeeze past the bike and would get tired of subbing my foot on the board or handle. I have one of those atv jacks posted earlier, but they are too bulky just for storage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

·
862 Posts
Thanks. I’m a little worried about the stability of this. However now I know a jack can be used I’m going to be ordering one soon. So much easier than a paddock stand.

I had two concerns when I was searching for a solution:

1. Fitting the 900 properly

2. Stability (Since I was planning on pushing it around!)

I went with the one I posted because a reviewer stated he owned a 900 and it fit great. So I felt comfortable pulling the trigger on it.

Stability was of great concern. Not just because I was going to jack the bike up on it, but because I was going to push it around. I have a friend that was a shop manager for HD's once upon a time. I consulted him to get his input.

He explained that in his shop they were required to install the ratchet straps every time they jacked a bike. No exceptions. He said that once you strap the bike to the stand it is very difficult to knock it over. He said that in all the years he ran his shop they only had one bike come off the stand and it was because the mechanic didn't strap it.

Here is what I discovered after getting mine:

I had to make a minor mod for the stand to make a balanced fit for the 900. It's important that it jacks the bike in the exact point of balance for the bike.

Once I applied the straps I was amazed how solid and sturdy the bike was on the stand. I can confidently push the bike around without any concern.

It's very important that the bike be solidly strapped to any stand or cart if your going to push the bike around. Any crack, seam bump can easily end up pushing the bike over (not good!) This is crucial if the floor you are rolling around on isn't a perfectly smooth floor as we see in the video posted.

Having an automatic locking system on the jack is very important! It eliminates the danger of a possible failure of the hydraulic lift.

I like the bike mover in the video! The down side is that's all it does. I considered one of those. My jack does the same thing and it is a maintenance lift! Add in the fact that my floor is concrete and not smooth and glassy.

If you do any work on your bike a jack is priceless. It makes cleaning my bike easier as well. It really makes doing the tire/rim cleaning a breeze as the wheel is elevated and turns freely.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I went with the one I posted because a reviewer stated he owned a 900 and it fit great. So I felt comfortable pulling the trigger on it.

Stability was of great concern. Not just because I was going to jack the bike up on it, but because I was going to push it around. I have a friend that was a shop manager for HD's once upon a time. I consulted him to get his input.

He explained that in his shop they were required to install the ratchet straps every time they jacked a bike. No exceptions. He said that once you strap the bike to the stand it is very difficult to knock it over. He said that in all the years he ran his shop they only had one bike come off the stand and it was because the mechanic didn't strap it.

I had to make a minor mod for the stand to make a balanced fit for the 900. It's important that it jacks the bike in the exact point of balance for the bike.

Once I applied the straps I was amazed how solid and sturdy the bike was on the stand. I can confidently push the bike around without any concern.

It's very important that the bike be solidly strapped to any stand or cart if your going to push the bike around. Any crack, seam bump can easily end up pushing the bike over (not good!) This is crucial if the floor you are rolling around on isn't a perfectly smooth floor as we see in the video posted.

Having an automatic locking system on the jack is very important! It eliminates the danger of a possible failure of the hydraulic lift.

I like the bike mover in the video! The down side is that's all it does. I considered one of those. My jack does the same thing and it is a maintenance lift! Add in the fact that my floor is concrete and not smooth and glassy.

If you do any work on your bike a jack is priceless. It makes cleaning my bike easier as well. It really makes doing the tire/rim cleaning a breeze as the wheel is elevated and turns freely.

Thanks, my concern is someone else also has a bike in my garage and I dont want to risk her knocking it over. I have ordered the dolly after checking it is big enough for the vn900. Will see how it works out, if it’s good I may order another for my Vulcan s.

The main requirement is to be able to get her 125 out without any assistance from me, and for me to quickly get the Vulcan s out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I used to keep a bike upright using the rafters in the garage and a couple of tie downs. It worked and was free.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Its too bad that center-stands seem to have gone out of fashion with manufacturers. I LOVE having a center-stand for mine as with very little effort I can have both wheels off the ground.

Of course, I can't roll it around like some of those COOL videos show, but I don't have much room left in my garage anyway.

NOTE TO KAWASAKI: How about making center-stands at least an option?......

·
Registered
165 Posts
Its too bad that center-stands seem to have gone out of fashion with manufacturers. I LOVE having a center-stand for mine as with very little effort I can have both wheels off the ground.

Of course, I can't roll it around like some of those COOL videos show, but I don't have much room left in my garage anyway.

NOTE TO KAWASAKI: How about making center-stands at least an option?......
Man, no kidding. I had center stands as standard on my GS450L, KZ1K, and R1100RT. My CB500F didn't come with one but it was an option, which I went for because chain maintenance is an absolute PITA without it. The weight of a stand on our 900s is insignificant (no, you can't tell a 2# difference and neither can I), and as for the lean angle objection, don't make me laugh.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Can you explain what the mod was that you made to this jack so it works on the 900?

Thanks
Don

1 - 20 of 23 Posts