Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was a mile from my house on my 2007 Vulcan Custom when the engine stalled. Had the throttle up and was moving forward when this happened. This wasn't the first time. Its been doing this the last couple weeks sporadically. Every time I was able to get it started again. This time it wouldn't turn over, and I got the clicking noise that tells me the battery is dead. The next day at home I jumped the battery with my car. It stalled out again while connected to the car. A couple more times and the bike stayed running. I let it sit connected to the car for a few minutes, and then unhooked. It died again as soon as I removed the jumper cables. 3rd time, I let it sit again. This time it kept running after I unhooked the jumpers. I left the bike to idle while I went inside the house to do some price checks on a battery. It stalled again while I was inside. Now when I try to start it, I get nothing. The battery is trying, the starter is trying, but nothing else. I filled up gas a few days ago. Any thoughts? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
These bikes seem to be really susceptible to loose or corroded battery grounds.
You might want to really look at the ground connections where the negative battery cable is connected to the engine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After discussing my issue with a car guy I know, I remembered an issue from earlier in the week that I hadn't thought about. I was riding home at night and I noticed that the head lamp would dim slightly and then go back to full strength. It would do this regularly. My car buddy thinks its the alternator.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I was a mile from my house on my 2007 Vulcan Custom when the engine stalled. Had the throttle up and was moving forward when this happened. This wasn't the first time. Its been doing this the last couple weeks sporadically. Every time I was able to get it started again. This time it wouldn't turn over, and I got the clicking noise that tells me the battery is dead. The next day at home I jumped the battery with my car. It stalled out again while connected to the car. A couple more times and the bike stayed running. I let it sit connected to the car for a few minutes, and then unhooked. It died again as soon as I removed the jumper cables. 3rd time, I let it sit again. This time it kept running after I unhooked the jumpers. I left the bike to idle while I went inside the house to do some price checks on a battery. It stalled again while I was inside. Now when I try to start it, I get nothing. The battery is trying, the starter is trying, but nothing else. I filled up gas a few days ago. Any thoughts? :confused:
Have one of the auto parts stores in your neighborhood do a load test on your battery.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After some research, I'm getting hints that it might be the regulator or stator. can anyone confirm this as a possible cause?

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
could be the stator.....seems to be a common issue on the 900 ....funny thing is my local dealer has sold aprox 150 vulcan 900's and has yet to replace a stator.....

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
bassman99, If you have a decent, digital multi-meter it's not too a big a deal checking the stator. The regulator can a tough one to suss out though. Don't test your battery by buying a new one. Have it checked out. I made the mistake of assuming mine was the battery and I burned out the new one ($97) in 3 days.

My local dealer also played dumb when I brought up the stator problem last year. But you really shouldn't be surprised. After all you can change out a stator and reg/rec for about $300 and an hour's wrench turning. But the dealer wants a Grand! My solution is that they won't ever see me or my bike again.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
After some research, I'm getting hints that it might be the regulator or stator. can anyone confirm this as a possible cause?
As previously recommended, buy a decent multimeter. Have you taken your battery to Autozone or one like it for load testing?
To test your stator (which seems to be on everyone's s**t list) unplug the rectifier/regulator located under the oil filter. Locate the three white wires coming into the plug end and with your multimeter set for 250VAC and a fresh battery, start the bike. Have someone bring the revs up to something like highway cruising engine speed and measure output voltage between any two white wires. Now measure between the remaining white wire and either of the one's you just tested. Now the remaining one. You will test a-b, a-c, b-c. All three readings should be the same and be in the mid 50 VAC range minimum. Put everything back together. Fire up the bike and measure VDC across the battery terminals. Bring the revs up once again. You should see mid 14's. If you don't see the voltage coming up when you bring the revs up or the reading goes past 15 VDC then the regulator is suspect.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
lol i dont think my dealer played dumb....service manager there is a real good friend known him long before he began working there ...i live next door to his parents even... and if i wanted he would let me look at their computer to see for my self how many (if any) stators they have ever had .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts