Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally bit the bullet and debaffled my pipes after reading about it for 2 years. I drilled the rivets and cut the pipe off but didn't drill any holes yet. My question is: What can I expect after drilling the holes? I was going to start with 4 per pipe and then do the 8 if needed. I'm suprised the difference in just what I've done so far. Do drilling the holes REALLY increase the depth and loudness or just a little? I'm worried it might be too loud after drilling?

BTW this is the first slab riding I've done over the weekend with the SW OD pulley installed. I'm pleasantly suprised. Seems like now I don't feel the increased vibration till just under 70. I'm hoping next season when I put the 200 tire on back it will move it up to 75? I figured the pulley upped it by
5 mph.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You can expect 4 holes to give it a little bit of growl over the stock pipes and 8 holes will be just a touch more. If you are looking for more sound from your pipes than just space the 4 holes so you can evenly put 4 more if you aren't happy with that.

If you get ready for the full debaffle and aren't sure, let me know...I have a set of stage 3 (inner baffle plate still in tact, only outer plate and baffles removed) which sound fantastic (I just got a wicked deal on a set of cobras) that I can sell you at a great price.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I also started in stages. I first drilled four 3/8" holes, rode for a couple of weeks and then went to eight holes. I did not notice much difference going from four to eight. I made a template so that I spaced the holes in a perfect symmetrical circle. First marking out the four holes and then later went backto and added the four additional holes. I've seen some real hatchet jobs so I took the extra time to do it right. Painted with high temperature black paint and it turned out quite nice. I guess it was all for not because I just pulled the baffles this weekend. The only thing better than working on my bike and adding to it, is riding it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
debaffle

Ok, I just got back in for a test ride after drilling the 4 - 3/8 holes around the inside. Wow, what a difference the holes make. I'm going to stick with the 4 for now, I hope I like the new sound? It also makes a difference if you are riding alone or with a group. In our poker run today I was the quietest ones except for the Gold Wingers. It is fun when everyone starts theirs up after a shutdown and takes off. I will be happier now I'm sure. I do suppose you could always plug the holes down the road if you ever wanted to?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts