Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have following problem: belts starts to squeak at 40mph and at 60 mph it turns to 'single' sound. I tried to go to dealer - but it didn't helped. According to dealer everything is ok and nothing can be done ;( And now I have following question: if cobra or vance & hines will 'solve' this problem?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Hello! I have following problem: belts starts to squeak at 40mph and at 60 mph it turns to 'single' sound. I tried to go to dealer - but it didn't helped. According to dealer everything is ok and nothing can be done ;( And now I have following question: if cobra or vance & hines will 'solve' this problem?
Last question 1st. Making the bike loud fixes nothing.
The factory specifications for belt tension are to tight.That is the source of your noise and future "not covered under warranty" normal wear to expensive parts.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Last question 1st. Making the bike loud fixes nothing.
I am a bit desperate about this noise and that's why i enclosed solved in quotes.
The factory specifications for belt tension are to tight.That is the source of your noise and future "not covered under warranty" normal wear to expensive parts.
Do you know correct tension?
And one more question: how hard to do it on my own?
And thank you for your reply!

·
Registered
25 Posts
just loosened the belt on my new 13 voyager, easy as the 2000 lt was, it helps to have the bags off. and I put cobra slip on's at the same time. now I am happy the belt was way to tight and the bank is happy too with no noise, lol both things are easy to do but like said before the belts are way too tight from the start. just take your time and turn both sides the same to keep the tire happy !!!

·
Registered
580 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Great, thank you for your response. Is there any manual how to do it?
Without question it needs to be adjusted & loosened up!
But one needs to know what he's doing. You don't want to loosen too much or something like leaving the axel not perpendicular to frame.

·
Registered
637 Posts
It's just like adjusting a chain. Loosen the axle nut, make the adjustment both sides (remember to tighten the lock-nuts or you'll lose one... ask me how I know), tighten the axle nut - job done.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's just like adjusting a chain. Loosen the axle nut, make the adjustment both sides (remember to tighten the lock-nuts or you'll lose one... ask me how I know), tighten the axle nut - job done.
One question: will i need to lift rear wheel from the ground or it can be done without it? Never had bike with a chain - previous was shaft drive.
p.s. i have found about wheel adjustment.
Thank you for your reply!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gt belt tesion gauge and readjustusted belt several times + cleaned it. Cleaning with soapy water helps on about 150 miles, then squaking retruns. Adjustment changes only tone of squeaking. Any more advices?

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
If you are going by factory specs when using the tension gauge, then it's still too tight.
I've got mine where I can push it up from the bottom about a 1/2 inch with little force from my fingers.
That's my gauge. lol And it's been that way for many years with no noises at all.

Just loosen it and make sure the axel is square with the frame.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts