Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed the rear tire and added a Barons 62 tooth rear pulley to my 09 Custom.

After about a week of riding Ive developed an annoying squeak when I apply the throttle.

Its clearly coming from the left side of the rear wheel. I used a good bit of axle grease when I reinstalled the axle.

Im going to try to pull it apart again this week and see what I can see but I dont really know why its doing this. Im 99% sure I put it together correctly. Ive pulled the rear wheel on other bikes at least 50 times and I didnt see anything different with this one.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you mean by that?
I wanted to eliminate the question of weather or not I lubed the axle when I put it back in.

I was reading something about the right side of the wheel alignment being 1/8 in forward of the left side maybe helping the squeak but that just sound wierd to me.

I dont think I have the belt too tight because its got what I though was normal play and I cant tighten it more since Im at the fullest extent of the adjustment. Im trying to find a shorter belt in the local area.

·
Registered
347 Posts
You need to re-check your belt tension & alignment. My barons rear pulley did "chirp" a little for the first 500km or so. Then it settled down. I am running around around 10mm (bit less than half an inch) of belt free play.

There are good threads on this site (and others) on how to get your alignment right on the belt. Do not run the belt too tight. Alignment is accomplished by watching the belt tracking on the rear pulley. "Rough" alignment is accomplished by the marks on the rear frame assembly. I have also used a micrometer on the adjustment bolt ends hanging to the rear of the bike - just as a rough guide. Belt tracking is the final step to getting the belt aligned "just right".

I do not recall ever needing to use any axle grease on the rear axle on removal or re-installation. I don't see any reference to greasing the axle in the manual either. The hub bearings are sealed types, IIRC. Yes, you are suppose to give the axle seal a little smudge of grease on re-assembly...before slipping the collar on the axle.

Also, it sounds a bit weird that you have used up all of the adjustment on the belt tension/alignment bolts. I have the barons rear pulley, and have about 1/4 of the adjustment left on the tensioners. I would re-check your work. E&OE.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, Im going to. All my previous experience is with chains but Ive worked on a number of bikes with this same style tensioner. I thought I could get it right but I guess theres more difference from belt to chain than I thought.

Probably gonna just take some trial and error.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No its definately the rear.

I tightened it a little more and it seems to be ok now. Ive only got about 25 miles on it though. It didnt show up right away last time so Im waiting to see if it holds out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts