Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am new to the forum. I bought an 09 custom last week and boy am I excited to get out and ride this thing.

Quick question though, I am getting a little bit of sputtering/popping/backfiring when I am decelerating. Is this normal for these bikes? Besides that the thing runs great and idles great.

Guy I bought it from rode it about 50 miles over the past 2 years so I was thinking it might be from lack of riding. I am about to run seafoam through the gas on my next tank to clean stuff out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would try replacing the exhaust gaskets. They're about $6 a pair from the dealer and easy to change. An exhaust leak at the heads could cause the decel popping.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
How many Miles total on the bike? with only 50 miles over 2 years (reportedly) first thing I would have done is put it in for the 15K check. Have it torn down and have everything checked and all fluids changed. That low amount of use can lead to dried out gaskets and a whole host of other problems that can prematurely kill any bike. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
269 Posts
OTOH, there may not be a thing wrong with it. It's possible that the previous owner de-baffled the mufflers and that the noise you are hearing on deceleration is simply the typical sound that de-baffled mufflers produce on deceleration.

If it runs good on acceleration and at constant speed, and it idles good, then I tend to think there's nothing wrong with the running of the bike.

As others have suggested though, it might be a good idea to change the fluids in the bike.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Did the PO do anything to the stock pipes, like drill them out or gut them entirely? If so that's why it's popping on deceleration. Don't do anything drastic, do the Seafoam and see how it goes from there. (Looks like I was two minutes later than Chas on the pipes!)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
53xx miles. Cheap is good, I will definitely try the exhaust gaskets first. The tear down sounds like big money. Guy said he would start it and let it run every so often. Bike has stock exhaust, not sure if it is debaffled or not

·
Registered
269 Posts
53xx miles. Cheap is good, I will definitely try the exhaust gaskets first. The tear down sounds like big money. Guy said he would start it and let it run every so often. Bike has stock exhaust, not sure if it is debaffled or not
Just get down on the floor/ground and look up inside the mufflers. Most of the de-baffling jobs I've seen are pretty obvious. If you see jagged edges and rough cuts and the like, then it has likely been de-baffled.

Also, the sound should tell you. Most stock exhausts don't sound very loud (or very good) unless or until you're really reving the engine hard. If yours sounds like a "real" motorcycle :D with just slight to moderate throttle, then likely it has been de-baffled.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Change oil and filter, change brake fluid front and rear and change coolant. Inspect spark plugs and clean if necessary. Tighten battery connections. Open air cleaner to be sure the mice didn't build a nest in there. Since you will have the air cleaner open, remove it completely from the intake body and plug the hose going up to the secondary air solenoid valve. There's plenty of posts here about PAIR removal and plugging (marbling) to stop decel popping.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts