Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...doing the 18/40 sprocket upgrade.........what size chain should i buy......i think the original sprockets is 17/42 with 530 pitch..not sure...thanks for any answers.....:D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
some web sites say stock chain is 112 links and some say 114......not wanting to take links out if i dont have to......

·
Registered
267 Posts
Chain Links

some web sites say stock chain is 112 links and some say 114......not wanting to take links out if i dont have to......
Dig thru the topics archive if you must. Someone posted an explanation once or twice about this. I wanted an exact match too but it became somewhat confusing so I just got the long one as I recall. Know this, with a simple Sears dremel tool-the cheapest one you can buy it cuts thru the chain rivet head like butter. I'm talking fifteen seconds and you're done. Cut link pushes right out and that's it...Side note; I've reworked two bikes over the last two years and I've probably used my dremel kit at least fifty times, If I could only keep one specialty tool the dremel kit stays. Good luck...

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
The 1st couple years of the Vulcan 800s, the used different ratios for 1st and 2nd, resulting in a 46 tooth rear sprocket, these use a longer chain, the 114 links. They then changed to lower ratios in the trans, resulting in the 17/42 setup on all later Vulcans, these use the 112 link chains.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this what i found on line

Kawasaki >
VN 800 Vulcan (All versions) 1996-2006

VN 800 Vulcan (All versions) 1996-2006
VN 800 Vulcan 1997-2005
OEM Sprocket Size - 17T Front Sprocket / 42T Rear Sprocket OEM Chain - 530 Pitch / 114 Links

VN 800 Vulcan CLASSIC 1996-2005
OEM Sprocket Size - 17T Front Sprocket / 42T Rear Sprocket OEM Chain - 530 Pitch / 112 Links

VN 800 Vulcan DRIFTER 2000-2006
OEM Sprocket Size - 17T Front Sprocket / 40T Rear Sprocket OEM Chain - 530 Pitch / 112 Links

·
Registered
154 Posts
I installed the 18/40 sprocket combo in the fall with a 112 link 530 RK x-ring chain. I did look at 520 stuff but decided the power savings was not worth the risk of it breaking. Lots of room for slack adjustment. I was thinking of dropping another tooth on the rear sometime, but I think i may stick with the 40 cuz I do still like the acceleration. FYI the JT Sprockets JTF513.18 will fit our bikes though amazon fitment guide says no. You can compare the drawings on JTs website.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys got it.......if we can get this cold weather out of here....be ready to install.......got new brakes sprocket and clutch for the bike........does anyone know...I have the stock rear bearing on my bike....might put new ones in since will have the rear wheel apart.....wonder if those have to be pressed in.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts