Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I actually road 50 miles in February in Montana. Thats a record! My rear tire is a slick now so I bought a Avon Venom X 200/70/15. I'm hoping this adds a bit of high end to my bike since we all want a sixth gear. I did the rear sprocket thing last year and I love it. This should add a bit more to the mix.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'm running the Venom but will probably go to the Metz when it wears out. You haven't lowered your rear so there should not be a problem. The Venom is a big tire - diameter. With a 2" drop I had to cut a lot of the inner fender splash shield out because it rubs on big bumps even riding solo. After a year I finally cut more of the shield out yesterday since the wife will likely be on the bike this year, but I can see where the material around the upper shield mounting bolts will still rub. I also set the shock on #7while I was in there - haven't ridden it yet due to rain but it feels real stiff. Since you have the bigger pulley a 2" drop would really be a problem. I had less than a 1/4" clearance between the tire and inner shield. The Venom is a big donut so you need to check clearance even with the pulley change. A longer belt would really help but I haven't looked for one yet.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have the same tire and love it. This thing really sticks to the ground in dry and wet roads.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the venom 200/70/15 doesn't fit at all. With the front scootworks sprocket the belt pulls the wheel forward so far that it rubs on the frame even without the splash guard. Now I'm looking at either trying to resell the tire and get something else or find a longer belt. A real disapointment so far.

·
Registered
719 Posts
It's tight in there with the Avon. Good tire, too bad it's so tall. I'm going to check tire diameters before I buy my next one - but I think the Metzler 200 is closer to the same diameter as the stock Dunlop.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, with the front overdrive pulley it's a no go. I need a new tire or new belt. Looking at belts now because I don't want to try and sell the tire.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well I actually road 50 miles in February in Montana. Thats a record! My rear tire is a slick now so I bought a Avon Venom X 200/70/15. I'm hoping this adds a bit of high end to my bike since we all want a sixth gear. I did the rear sprocket thing last year and I love it. This should add a bit more to the mix.
whats the rear sprocet thing?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts