Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have had my vulcan 900 (2006) for 4 months now and have logged a few thousand miles... I adjusted the spring from 4 to 6, I am 190 plus books on my back and rain gear in the saddles. I was wondering if there was any reference or recommendations for weight on each spring setting? I know the factory setting is high 100's for setting 4, and I also realize that feel is all dependent upon rider, but I was wondering if there has been an optimal breakdown for each setting with regard to weight? Thanks...

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm 6', 200 lbs. When I take my 900 in for it's 600 mile checkup I'm having my shocks bumped up at least one, maybe two notches. Have felt it bottom out a time or two.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm 6', 200 lbs. When I take my 900 in for it's 600 mile checkup I'm having my shocks bumped up at least one, maybe two notches. Have felt it bottom out a time or two.
Yes, 4 was nice and soft, 6 is a little stiff on the crack and bumps. I was wondering if I could optimize at about 220-250lbs at setting 5?

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Just adjusted mine two weeks ago from 4 to 6. I'm 6' 220 and found the change quite comfortable. With saddlebags and stuff to fill them it felt like I was bottoming out more often than not. With the shock adjuested to the 6 position the ride seems smoother and I don't feel the back jarring hits I did at the 4 setting. Seems to work for me.

·
Registered
236 Posts
i'm 6'1 250lbs and i ride with it at factory setting 4 and i find it confortable, even when i bring my wife along who is heavy weight i leave it there with no problems

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'm 6'1 250lbs and i ride with it at factory setting 4 and i find it confortable, even when i bring my wife along who is heavy weight i leave it there with no problems
From all your thoughts I think I will be able to get away with a 5 setting. Don't carry extra "she" weight on my ride, just full saddle bags and computer and books for school. Sounds good, any weight specs for each setting out there?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Trempus: At least you didn't tell her weight. She would have killed you for sure. I learned that lesson years ago. We guys don't care who knows how much we weigh. Wives? It's a State secret punishable by death.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Setting 4 is too light. The manual says it's for an "average" rider weight of 150 pounds. Must be for Japanese riders. I weigh 185 and I set mine for 5. Much better than 4. Four was too soft and I got my world rocked when I went over railroad tracks. Five is a good bit stiffer. If I were you, I'd go with 5, and maybe try 6.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i ride with 2 up around 350-375 lbs without any bags and on the stock settings, i havent had a problem what so ever! maybe ill play with the shock and see what happens when i raise it up a notch or two
please do.. I ride too up at around 300lbs but with baggies (mostly empty) and stock settings... me and the wife must be from Japan or China LOL:D

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ken, yes, after having setting 6 for some time I am going to bring her back to 5. The colder weather may benefit at six better. Also, I am going to check tire pressures and gage them as needed as well.

·
Registered
166 Posts
+1 on the 5 setting. Works for solo and two up. So that would be somwhere between. 250 and 42x lbs. No bottom out. I did find bumping up my tire pressure 2 psi on each tire helped with the comfort part. Stock pressure is "cushy" to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Ken, yes, after having setting 6 for some time I am going to bring her back to 5. The colder weather may benefit at six better. Also, I am going to check tire pressures and gage them as needed as well.
The best way to gauge whether you're in the ball park or not is to check the static sag. No need to go into detail since you can start here.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Do you have to lift the bike up to adjust it? I tried to adjust it when I first got the bike using the spanner wrenches that came with it. And could barely get it to move and it seemed like the wrench was starting to bend.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Do you have to lift the bike up to adjust it? I tried to adjust it when I first got the bike using the spanner wrenches that came with it. And could barely get it to move and it seemed like the wrench was starting to bend.
Felt the same for me. Just kept pushing until it moved to the next setting. Just did it while on the kick stand, but was a PITA.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Just wish I knew which way to go. The divots are marked.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts