Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Spray adhesive or glue???

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Jablze33 
#1 ·
I'm putting some new grips on my bike and I've seen people say you can use a few squirts of spray adhesive and others some kind of glue. Which should I use or doesn't it really matter, and what kinds? Thanks

#3 ·
I second the hairspray method. It will hold the grip on place just fine. Now if you just want to see if you can get it to twist, you will be able to but that would be an intentional act. This method also makes any potential removal of grips (actually only left grip) a little easier as it will not be "adhered" to the bar, just stuck in place for normal operation. Again, let it sit overnight and it will be good to go.

#6 ·
Rubbing alcohol works quite well, too. You don't really 'need' any sort of adhesive. The grips are 'press on'. You just want something to lubricate them so that they'll slide on, and then evaporate away underneath the grips leaving them 'stuck on'. The grips inside diameter is basically the same as the outside diameter of the bars; making for a very tight fit. And that's how they work. They aren't meant to be 'glued on'. All I've ever done is mix a little rubbing alcohol and water in a spray bottle, spray liberally to get the grips off, then wet the new grips and the bars with the solution and quickly re-install the grips (before it evaporates). Works well. Hairspray is probably a little 'stickier' if you feel you need it.

Reactions: Engineerk9
#7 ·
If you do use a glue, use a good high temperature grip glue. I have had grips literally slide off the bar when the factory glue melted riding in 115° temperature.

I have never had or put on grips without glue. The ones I did install would have come off without it, except for the Avons now on my Voyager. They have set screws that hold them on. I still have some high temp glue left, so I put it on the left side. The right side has Ray's throttle mod. I don't know if he used glue or not, but it is on there hard and tight, so I suspect he did.

#8 ·
My Avon's have screws to tighten down but I used a little gorilla glue on the left grip none on the right.

#11 ·
Gorilla glue will soften and even run in really high ambient temps. I had Leatherlyke saddle bags and the foam seal in the top wore out. Long story short, I used GG to glue down a new foam seal that I bought at Home Depot. Riding in OK on a 115° day, the GG started running down the sides of the saddle bag. Same day the grips put on with a generic grip glue started sliding off. I found some grip glue that specifically states that it won't soften in high temps. It worked, even at ~125° in the Mojave. Don't remember the brand now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.